Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching le Critérium International in France today. Maybe I misheard, but I could have sworn I heard a comment about one rider's unshaven face. The comment was something about how some riders don't shave on race day with the goal being a little more energy.

Did anyone hear this or am I crazy? I don't see the connection between shaving and energy.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I was watching le Critérium International in France today. Maybe I misheard, but I could have sworn I heard a comment about one rider's unshaven face. The comment was something about how some riders don't shave on race day with the goal being a little more energy.

Did anyone hear this or am I crazy? I don't see the connection between shaving and energy.
It's kind of an old wives tale, something akin to not having sex the night before a big event. It implies that you're so completely focused on the race that you can't spare the energy to stand in front of the mirror and shave in the morning.

Silas

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
SilasCL said:
It's kind of an old wives tale, something akin to not having sex the night before a big event. It implies that you're so completely focused on the race that you can't spare the energy to stand in front of the mirror and shave in the morning.

Silas
And I think I read last year that Ulrich won't shave (legs) the night before?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hair growth

I was under the impression that it was due to the energy required to regrow the hair. I think that's why pros don't shave the night before a race since the body puts some effort into regrowing the freshly cut hair, etc. I'm not sure if there's any scientific evidence behind this or if its just a superstitious ritual.

·
Self admitted user
143 Posts
Rate of hair growth has nothing to do with when you shave ... hair follicles are affected by hormone levels but more on a life or death point of view ... ask any balding guy if he's had the chrome dome forever ... he'll generally say that it was in his late 20's or early 30's that it started ... same time he started to gain some weight etc. Hormones!

I think that it's more of the tradition of having you game face ... Though I find that there's a psychological improvement to having clean shaven hams and jowls .... it feels fast!

danielc said:
I was under the impression that it was due to the energy required to regrow the hair. I think that's why pros don't shave the night before a race since the body puts some effort into regrowing the freshly cut hair, etc. I'm not sure if there's any scientific evidence behind this or if its just a superstitious ritual.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
danielc said:
I was under the impression that it was due to the energy required to regrow the hair.
That can't be true... Like the other poster said, hair grows at the rate it grows at and shaving doesn't change that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its a macho / superstious sort of thing. Riding a Belgian Classic is like going to war. Aminals (or Cannibals!) tend to win battles. Hence, the one-days growth is psychological statement that a rider is going all-out on a particular day. It not an attempt at a physiological advantage!

On the other hand, some cyclist's just think the 3-day look is cool -- e.g., El Rey Leon himself, Mario Cipollini.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Death Bredon said:
Its a macho / superstious sort of thing. Riding a Belgian Classic is like going to war. Aminals (or Cannibals!) tend to win battles. Hence, the one-days growth is psychological statement that a rider is going all-out on a particular day. It not an attempt at a physiological advantage!

On the other hand, some cyclist's just think the 3-day look is cool -- e.g., El Rey Leon himself, Mario Cipollini.
Of course--that's what I thought. That's why I found what I heard on OLN to be strange. Then again, I may have misheard it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I heard what you heard on OLN. Sherwin was TRYING to make the macho-point about one of the riders in TT of the Criterium International. Can't remember which rider it was, but it didn't work! Basso was just to aerodynamic with his clean shave! ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think he said it about Astarloa, at least I recall it being someone in red. And I thought he had said the superstition was to shave on race morning to put in a better time. He did say it as if it was purely mental and did not actually make them faster. Way to go Basso!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does VanPet shave or shadow for big races? I really don't recall! (Has it been that long?)

Perhaps at Flanders he'll put his mug at the front next to Boonen to remind me!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts