Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I vaguely recall converting a Campy front mech from a banded to a braze-on.

Or, at least I think I do...

I was going over the bits for my touring build and find I have a '06 Chorus Triple front that is a 35mm banded, & no apparent way of separating the mech from the band. Of course it is for a frame with 1" tubing.

Apparently, I'm in some sort of recursive loop, since I bought and sold a Centaur front mech for the same reason, but mysteriously convinced myself that the more expensive groups would allow for re-purposing.

What am I missing, besides my mind??:idea:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Nope, but you are able to use a braze on FD on a clamp on frame with the help of a clamp on adapter.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Nope, but you are able to use a braze on FD on a clamp on frame with the help of a clamp on adapter.
Maybe that's what I took apart without realizing it--I bought a used older Record front just as I was getting started again to put on a bike with a braze on, so everything looked a little different to me...

So now I need to look around in the bits box, & I may turn up a 28.6 clamp!

Cheers, Grumpy (and congrats on the race win--it's been a lotta years but I can still remember that feeling at the line!)
Dean

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
It's never too late to put your ego, your skin, and your dreams on the line.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
you can pull the clamp on apart and change the clamp with different size tube clamps, maybe that is what you did. I had to do that with my veloce since I could not find a clamp the right size

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Possible, but not likely

paredown said:
I vaguely recall converting a Campy front mech from a banded to a braze-on. Or, at least I think I do.
Brain fart. If you could get the part, which is the band and derailleur body all in one piece, then you could disassemble the FD and swap in the new part. Where you would get that part is a VERY open question.

What you likely did before was change adapators with a braze-on derailleur. You can think of the BO derailleur as essentially splitting a clamp-on derailler right at the inside edge of the body, so making that change doesn't require you to take the unit apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts