Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss M is about to have a birthday of some significance. This means that she should certainly receive a gift of some significance from her husband (that would be me). Last Christmas I got her some nice pearl earings and a ring.

Now….I’m thinking a nice strand of pearls would do nicely for her special birthday. One thing I could do is make sure to buy one pearl for every year (might end up being a double strand). Would that be a nice touch or a bit overboard?

The other thing I am wondering about is if I should go with Mikimoto and do the name brand thing or get her bigger pearls without the branding. Would it make a difference to you?

Finally Mikimoto pearls look a little too even to me, almost plastic. I could get a set of less perfectly shaped pearls-would they look more real then the very even set of Mikimotos?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Married men feel free to chip in.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MB1 said:
Miss M is about to have a birthday of some significance. This means that she should certainly receive a gift of some significance from her husband (that would be me). Last Christmas I got her some nice pearl earings and a ring.

Now….I’m thinking a nice strand of pearls would do nicely for her special birthday. One thing I could do is make sure to buy one pearl for every year (might end up being a double strand). Would that be a nice touch or a bit overboard?

The other thing I am wondering about is if I should go with Mikimoto and do the name brand thing or get her bigger pearls without the branding. Would it make a difference to you?

Finally Mikimoto pearls look a little too even to me, almost plastic. I could get a set of less perfectly shaped pearls-would they look more real then the very even set of Mikimotos?

Jewelry is a huge waste of money. Get her the good stuff anyway. You've been married long enough to know that, haven't you?:D

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bocephus Jones II said:
Jewelry is a huge waste of money. Get her the good stuff anyway. You've been married long enough to know that, haven't you?:D
Nowhere in my OP do I even hint that I am going to get less then the very good stuff. I am just looking for a little clarity on what exactly is the very good stuff.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
MB1 said:

My mother in-law here in Santa Cruz creates amazing pearl necklaces. Fresh water pearls, traditional pearls, a variety of clasp designs, custom lengths, accents stones, etc... She hand ties them, and has an enormous collection of exotic and traditional pearls that she hand selects that her customers choose from. If you're interested in talking to her, let me know. According to her - the mark-up at any jewelry store is huge.

I've given my wife a few different strands that range from casual to elegantly formal, they are a very special gift.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MB1 said:
Nowhere in my OP do I even hint that I am going to get less then the very good stuff. I am just looking for a little clarity on what exactly is the very good stuff.
aha...well at least you seem to be on the right track then...you worried me there. I didn't think Miss M was ever off her bike long enough to have to occasion to wear pearls though... :confused:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No reason not to wear them on the bike.....

Bocephus Jones II said:
aha...well at least you seem to be on the right track then...you worried me there. I didn't think Miss M was ever off her bike long enough to have to occasion to wear pearls though... :confused:
When she dresses up she goes for the quietly elegant look. A bit understated if you ask me but very nice.

When she met my folks for the first time my mother took me aside and mentioned something like, "She has really good taste in a quiet but expensive way, don't let her down." Good advice from mom.....

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
MB1 said:

Don't mind if I do. First thing's first, pearls seem to be the perfect jewelry gift. It seems that everyone loves them and they really are beautiful. My wife was never one for pearls, but ever since wearing a strand of her grandmothers pearls at our wedding she's loved them.

They are however finicky when it comes to handling them, so I would definately advise against having her ride in them, especially since they are very sensitive to the oil that your body produces, especially finer ones like Mikimoto et al.

The beauty in Mikimoto pearls is that they are held to a very rigorous standard and not only hand picked, but hand picked to sit next to each other when threaded. Personally, if I had the coin I'd buy my wife a fine single strand of Mikimoto pearls.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I love pearls. I'm not a jewelry hound, and they go with everything. In fact, I think they make a very cool statement with jeans. But I'll tell you, branding doesn't mean squat to me. ... It's the look.

Jus' one gal's opinion, of course.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
jtolleson said:
I love pearls. I'm not a jewelry hound, and they go with everything. In fact, I think they make a very cool statement with jeans. But I'll tell you, branding doesn't mean squat to me. ... It's the look.

Jus' one gal's opinion, of course.
I kinda think that Mikimoto is the trek of pearls.

·
grasso e lento
116 Posts
What about the rest of us

thinkcooper said:
. If you're interested in talking to her, let me know.

Does this go for all of us married guys thinkcooper?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing wrong with Treks....

thinkcooper said:
I kinda think that Mikimoto is the trek of pearls.
...although I am a Waterford kind of guy.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
*Dude* said:
Does this go for all of us married guys thinkcooper?
Yeah - I need to take some shots of her pearls, to help her get her website up and running. I can post some hsots here, or get you directly in touch with her. If you're in the South Bay, she's a trip to meet.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
MB1 said:
...although I am a Waterford kind of guy.
I met up with Richard about a month ago and told him about you and your pro-waterford posts here. It made him happy.

Richard stayed at my B&B years ago, that's where I first met him, and he's still as entertainingly opinionated and commited to steel as I remembered.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Significant premium for branding

Based on my observations over the years, there appears to be a significant premium for jewelry from branded sources, such a Mikimoto or Tiffany's. The branded stuff usually is of very good quality. But, I am not sure that the good quality is sufficiently great to justify the premium. I would try to find a well-established jeweler that you can trust and ask his or her advice. I don't know any jewelers in DC and the one that I trusted in Baltimore retired a few years ago and now is dead. Ask your co-workers for recommendations if you don't know any jewelers.

I would be especially wary of pearls. I know someone whose grandmother had three beautiful strands of pearls. After grandmother's death, the granddaughters were dividing up grandmother's jewelry and everyone wanted one particular strand of pearls -- clearly everyone thought the one strand was the "best." Well, the family decided to have all of the jewelry evaluated by an expert and appraised. The "best" strand of pearls turned out to be fakes -- very high quality ones that looked better than the real ones. But, fakes nevertheless.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MarkS said:
The "best" strand of pearls turned out to be fakes -- very high quality ones that looked better than the real ones. But, fakes nevertheless.
same with diamonds--a good zirconia is hard to spot.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Miss M would spot them.

Bocephus Jones II said:
same with diamonds--a good zirconia is hard to spot.
We have a nice couch but it ain't that nice.....

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
We have a nice couch but it ain't that nice.....

Just wait and see what happens when Miss M finds out that her Waterford is a repainted Huffy.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i have no input except to say, good on ya, MB1.

and coop, send me some pixs.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i have no input except to say, good on ya, MB1.

and coop, send me some pixs.
I hope to be getting together with her this week. I'll send some pix your way once I have them ready.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
thinkcooper said:
I hope to be getting together with her this week. I'll send some pix your way once I have them ready.
sounds good. blondie mentioned she "wants a pearl necklace". is this the right path?

LOL! j/k.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts