Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike, specifically from the Trek line. After quite a bit of reading, I'm thinking a 5200 is my choice. I found a 2003 at a lbs, but they are selling it on consignment, so I'm not sure how fair the price is ($1000).

Any idea if this is fair, or a bit much for a 5 year old bike? It's in great condition, and has all stock components.

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
If its the right size, give it a shot. Worst case scenario, you could resell it if you don't like it. I'd feel pretty confident in the purchase from a reputable LBS. Just try to ascertain to the best of your ability and that of the LBS, that the carbon frame has no cracks or damage. Components can always be upgraded down the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point - although I don't think that the LBS will stand behind the quality of the bike since it is cosignment and they are just an agent for the seller. So you think that $1000 is reasonable for a 5 year old bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Look at the components as well. I believe that bike should have Race Lite wheels and full ultegra. If items have been changed out it may be because there are a lot of miles on the bike. Then again there may be a lot of miles and the parts on the bike are worn out. If parts have been changed were they upgraded or replaced with inferior stuff? I would take someone very knowledgable with you. For 1,000.00 the bike should be in very good condition and not need any work. If you have to put a bottom bracket, chain, cassett, wheels, cables, ect. on it before you ride its not such a good deal.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Check the completed auctions on E-Bay for market pricing. $1,000 sounds about right. I sold my 1999 5200 on E-bay a few months ago for about $800.

If the frame is your size and is in good working order then you would have a bike that is much better than what you would buy new for $1,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.