Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several fake KASK and Giro helmets lately. Most are from China and most are poor copies, but there are some crooked sellers in the US and UK selling them. Another forum shows one guy's helmet came apart in his hands.

Helmets are the last place to cut corners. Don't save money buying a fake, go to your LBS and get a real helmet.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Many of them on Aliexpress too.

This is one item to not frack around with knock offs. I also suggest avoiding no name brand carbon forks.

Of course the fancy-model helmets are at least as bad a rip off as the fake helmet though. No reason to spend more than $100 for a hunk of foam and plastic, really, for the same protection as a mindblowingly stupid $350 genuine Kask Infinity or Poc. One minor bounce and you have to replace these disposable PPE items.

but Foakleys .. why not?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Kask is easier to identify as genuine, as the term "made in Italy" is printed in several places on the inside of the helmet, as well as the chin strap. Giro helmets are made in China anyway, as are all of the "big name" helmets, so it's harder to spot fakes, other than the obvious.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Fakes/knockoffs are a normal part of doing business in many Asian countries. It surprises me that many companies take their intellectual property over to be manufactured and are shocked to find it shared and embedded in competitors’ products within a short period of time, especially if the competitor is local or national; brand. Fakes are even produced at different quality levels, depending on the amount your willing to spend, It’s truly amazing, its not uncommon for the real items to vaporize out of the facility and show up in the local markets un or re-branded. All of this is socially acceptable as we (outsiders-foreigners) are viewed as rubes.
I hate to sound hardnosed but if you move your manufacturing to Asia and complain about fakes or stolen proprietary information, its self-inflicted and the only person harmed is the one that buys the fake unintentionally.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Kask is easier to identify as genuine, as the term "made in Italy" is printed in several places on the inside of the helmet, as well as the chin strap.
I doubt the knock-off producers would have any qualms with plastering "made in Italy" stickers to their bogus product.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Fakes/knockoffs are a normal part of doing business in many Asian countries. It surprises me that many companies take their intellectual property over to be manufactured and are shocked to find it shared and embedded in competitors’ products within a short period of time, especially if the competitor is local or national; brand. Fakes are even produced at different quality levels, depending on the amount your willing to spend, It’s truly amazing, its not uncommon for the real items to vaporize out of the facility and show up in the local markets un or re-branded. All of this is socially acceptable as we (outsiders-foreigners) are viewed as rubes.
I hate to sound hardnosed but if you move your manufacturing to Asia and complain about fakes or stolen proprietary information, its self-inflicted and the only person harmed is the one that buys the fake unintentionally.
All of this.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
if you move your manufacturing to Asia and complain about fakes or stolen proprietary information, its self-inflicted and the only person harmed is the one that buys the fake unintentionally.
Completely agree. I blame the companies having their products made as cheaply as possible to maximize profit margin above all else. Then the same now rich scumbags cry and ***** about their intellectual property being stolen. Give me a break. Who ends up losing? We do. The consumer/customer does.

So here's a big **** YOU to the money grubbing scumbags running these companies.

And what are the chances that KASK is no different than Pinarello or Colnago or whomever? Made in Italy? No... I can't believe that. Sure, you probably make some stuff in Italy, or paint it there or assemble it there or put chin straps on it there or whatever. What are the chances that they outsourced some production? Chances of KASK being a victim here are slim to none.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think it would be silly to say that knock-off copies are only done on bike products whose corporate owners choose to manufacture there. It has been pretty much proven bunk that counterfitters ship product "out the back door" of the same legit manufacturing facilities and use the same materials and processes as the genuine item.

Let's take helmets: All you need is some styrofoam, a shell, straps and buckles to make something that resembles a bike helmet- all they need to do is copy the form of the original to make a version of the item that resembles the original. Same principle with CF bike frames. Making something that visually resembles a Pinarello frame is relatively easy, the devil in the details is making a copy that performs like the original.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
This China company also sells fake Gibson guitars. They are crap, but look nice.
(they are marked "Made in USA", and have fake serial numbers)

The people who buy them know that they are fake, but some sell them to suckers, as a real Gibson, at Gibson prices.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
This China company also sells fake Gibson guitars. They are crap, but look nice.
(they are marked "Made in USA", and have fake serial numbers)

The people who buy them know that they are fake, but some sell them to suckers, as a real Gibson, at Gibson prices.
Word. I've been eyeing a fake Rickenbaker 4001. Personally, I'm not into the Rickenbaker sound but for $300 I wouldn't mind futzing around with a fake one.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I wouldn't.
It's like buying a bike that you know is stolen. (and it might also be total junk)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Great post! Just to add, Campy manufactures in Romania and it's not for Euro loyalty, it's to reduce the piracy risk. They are seriously concerned about manufacturing in Asia only for that reason. I looked for the article I read months ago but couldn't find it. Too lazy to keep digging... They try hard to image manage "made in Italy." As if the Fiat is a testimony to reliability...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts