Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. You guys (and possibly girls) wanted to see the finished product - or so you said.

Well, I've had it up for a couple of days and.....nada, bupkiss, squat.

So, in order to salve my wounded ego, here it is....again!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lousylegs said:
looks great, but i would vote for some brooks leather handlebar wrap, that would really top it off
Thanks. I'm still keeping my eye out for a suitable steel threaded fork. As long as I've got the threadless carbon bits, Brooks wouldn't be quite right. Plus that stuff is a beeyotch to wrap around Campy Ergos. Even the stuff I used - a Bontrager polyurethane which doesn't stretch - was a pain to keep it out of the thumb shifter slot.:eek:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
raymonda said:
What year?
As near as anyone can tell, it was a Falcon Victory built between about 1984 and 1987. Reynolds 531P, Campy Victory group. I got it as a frameset from a dealer in 1989, probably stripped for parts. Been my favorite bike ever since.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Sweet. I was "watching" a baby blue Falcon on eBay for the longest time and almost pulled the trigger. I held off because the geometry was almost but not quite right. I was very tempted though.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
raymonda said:
That is what I would have thought. Would be nice with a steel fork and DT shifters.
I'm on the lookout for a proper steel threaded fork, but I'll pass on DT shifters. I like the Ergo's. They're not far off "period correct" and on this bike I'll sacrifice a bit of "vintage perfect" for functionality.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got to ride it!

I finished it a week ago and then it rained. Today it was sunny, cold, and as it turned out, windy. But I got out early this morning and did a 43 mile loop up to Long Beach and back. Mild headwind up, decent tailwind back. Beautiful blue sky day if a bit cold (I know - it's all relative. To me 50 degrees is cold!) Surprisingly, I felt pretty good. It was everything about why I love this old steed. Shifted and braked flawlessly, quiet as a tomb, and I doubt I could get a better fit and handling from a custom..

Between weather and "under the weather", I haven't put any miles in lately. The 2 mile commute doesn't count. All I can say is that I have ridden a lot of "new stuff" and I wouldn't trade this for anything!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Richard said:
O.K. You guys (and possibly girls) wanted to see the finished product - or so you said.

Well, I've had it up for a couple of days and.....nada, bupkiss, squat.

So, in order to salve my wounded ego, here it is....again!

Wow Richard...I like it....I'll have to bring a geared bike on my next trip to LA:thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice Falcon!

Very nice rebuild. The paint and decals look very good. It is nice to see older bikes rehabilitated rather than dumped in landfills. I'm sure you will get some good comments when riding. There are enough 'older riders' out there that appreciate the vintage machine!

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I'm normally not a fan of gray or silver bikes, but I really like the color of yours. Very understated and classic. A chrome steel fork would top it off. They come up for sale on eBay from time to time, although finding the right size and rake might be difficult. Or you could buy a new one from one of the custom shops such as Waterford. Or keep it British and order one from Mercian or Bob Jackson in England.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tarwheel2 said:
I'm normally not a fan of gray or silver bikes, but I really like the color of yours. Very understated and classic. A chrome steel fork would top it off. They come up for sale on eBay from time to time, although finding the right size and rake might be difficult. Or you could buy a new one from one of the custom shops such as Waterford. Or keep it British and order one from Mercian or Bob Jackson in England.
Thanks everybody. I tried to get it back as close to the original color as I could. Part of that inspiration was Greg Softley from Cyclomondo recently coming up with Falcon decals that matched the originals.

It's been a consistent "rider" since 1989, never out of the lineup. Like I said earlier, I'll keep my eye out for a good steel fork but to a certain extent I'm reluctant to put a pound plus of weight back into it. I'm not a weight wienie, but as built, with pedals and cages, it came in at 19.5 pounds. And I need all the help I can get.:D

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kjung said:
Interesting chrome fork. Columbus, not 531, but a nice crown./QUOTE]

Nice. But with a 74 degree head angle, I really want a 43mm rake. I originally replaced the fork with a 45cm full carbon fork and not only was it flexy as all get out, the trail was reduced enough to where it just didn't handle right.

As it stands, the handling is spot on and I really don't want to screw with that. I'm in no hurry and I'll keep looking. I'm still kicking myself for selling the original fork.

Meanwhile, this old steed is a joy to ride.:D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts