Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -

Thought I'd post a quick report about the Fall River Century that was held yesterday. The ride offered 25, 60, 100, and 130 mile options. Supposedly limited to 500 riders, there seemed to be a pretty good turnout. The ride staged from the McArthur Fairgrounds and followed some nice (and some not so nice) roads around the area. Normally, there are breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, but due to the numerous forest fires, the theme fr this year was "Smokey '08" - even put that on the t-shirt. I did the 2x metric and found it challenging, yet fun. The rest stops were spaced about every 10-20 miles and were well stocked. Also had one of the local Redding shops send their mechanic w/stand to help out at the start and then later at the main lunch stop (thanx Village Cycle). Here are some pics....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Love the ride report. I lived up in Nor Cal, Alturas, CA, to be exact during my days in high school. I forgot how beutiful the scenery was. I have not been up in those parts since summer of 96. Unfortunately for me my two hobbies now are cycling and fly fishing, both of which i picked up after my time in Nor Cal. Thanks for sharing

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That's funny, I ran into you a couple of times on the ride. didn't know it was you though :). I was wearing RBR tribal kit on a Tirreno bike. Anyway, I did the double century also and it was a drag for me. The last 20 miles was mental torture with the smoke and the ride into the giant metropolis of Day (although I have to say that was one of the best and funnest rest stops I've been at in some time. Those ladies and their bake goods were incredible). I loved the first half of the ride, but the identical smokey lava fields got a little old and warm after a while. Anyway, we'll probably do it again. Did you camp or did you stay in a hotel/motel? We stayed in the Fall River Lodge where the mosquitos tried to carry me off and we had to fight a small war with spiders and ants in our hotel room, but we won :). Our friends stayed in the hotel in "downtown" and loved it. Lots of beer at the bar until the ran out of tapped stuff and we ate 3 meals in the hotel restaurant that were great. I loved the area right around town also. Man, the Pit and Fall Rivers are awesome and I wish I had brought kayaks.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Oh yeah, that pic of you at the Little Valley rest stop sums it up pefectly with the old gent in the background. That group cracked me up. While I was cooling down a bit I had a good talk with the group. Nice people but borderline Deliverance :) :).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ridgetop -

I saw a couple of RBR jerseys on the ride, but figured I'm more of a lurker than a big participant, so I kinda kept to myself. Guess I should have introduced myself....then again, I found a lot of "unfriendly" riders that got a bit pissy when I tried to ride along with them for a few miles. I thought it would be nice to meet new people and help pass the miles, since I tend to ride alone (spouse isn't into riding and I'm not part of any local clubs)....guess not.

Anyway, being from Redding, I just drove up the morning of the ride and then headed back home right after I finished.

Gotta agree on the mood of the ride - with all the smoke/haze, it was a bit tougher mentally. But, living in Redding, I've been dealing with the fires for the past month (and trying to keep training in it). I hit my "mental wall" when I finished the Day loop and then realized the course was going to wind along Pittville Road back into McArthur instead of following 299 for the more direct route. That last hill combined with the wind was enough to make me cuss aloud. I saw more than a few people walking their bikes up that hill....most said just a bit too much for the end of the ride.

BTW - did you use a cycle computer or GPS? I came in a few miles higher than the ride listed and was curious what others had. If a GPS - did you note the climb as well?

Take care, and if in or around Redding, drop me a line - I ride M-W-F-Sa-Su (and will add in T/Th if the mood suits me).

Bruce in Redding

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I came in at 128 or so miles but I cheated. Instead of heading back through Pitville (I knew there was a hill there) I took 299 straight into the fairgrounds. I just wasn't in the mood to tackle it. It was approximately 500' of climb in the last 6 or 7 miles or so according to someone else who recorded it. By taking 299 in we pretty much just cruised on into town. I think the ride would have closer to 127 miles but I made a mistake and missed a turn for about a 1/2 mile early on in the ride so that affected my final mileage.

Too bad you didn't say hi. We had formed a pace line with one other guy we met, my wife, her friend, and couple of other friends for quite a bit of the ride. It really helped and since we weren't rushing it it made the ride a little funner. Our group split at Pitville (at the first junction) and my friend Joe and I did the double while everyone else did the 100 miler. I think my wife wished she had stuck with us. Next year I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.