Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Saturday was my wife’s birthday and the weather forecast was for unseasonably warm and sunny weather. We decided to visit the Statue of Liberty; neither of us (nor our daughter) had ever been. It is managed by the National Park Service so I checked the website and learned you can get a timed entry pass (like Disney World rides) and, of course, must buy a ferry ticket to get to the Liberty Island. My girls are not early risers or morning people, so I go the latest time pass I could (12:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.)

We drove to Liberty State Park, saw a few cyclists enjoying the quiet roads of the park and found the parking lot for the ferry. The terminal is a restored rail station. The ferry terminal was previously a commuter terminal where lower Manhattan commuters would take the train and then the ferry. The train and commuter ferry service no longer run here, but NPS has done a beautiful job restoring the station, removing the track and ignoring the train platforms.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Statue - Continued

We then wait for the first security check, an airport style metal detector and bag x-ray, board the ferry boat and leave for Ellis Island, stop and then continue to Liberty Island.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Statue - Continued

As we approach the Statue, a palpable sense of excitement and anticipation mounts on the ferry. Photo opportunities are limited to what I can shoot from the boat. The Statue is sited on an old fort. The original name of the island is Bedloe’s Island and it was used as a revolutionary war era fort to protect the harbor. The rampart walls form an impressive site for the statue. The statue’s base was built with donated funds using granite quarried from nearby Connecticut.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Statue Continued

We disembark and walk to the second security screening to enter the base of the Statue. This one is a bomb sniffer. You enter a telephone booth and several jets of air pssssst out and blow the scent of any concealed IED into a sensor while also blowing the hair and clothing of the visitor to the amusement of all who wait.

The first stop on the tour is the second torch. The first torch was a copper flame and was replaced with lighted glass to serve as an aid to navigation. The glass one was replaced during the recent renovation with the current gold leaf flame. The glass flame leaked horribly and the water entering the Statue accelerated corrosion of the structure.

MORE TO COME TOMORROW - TYPICAL COMPUTER PROBLEMS...

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Statue - Continued

The museum documented the story of the creation, construction techniques, restoration and its symbology. Here’s a (copy of?) an original model used in promotion and construction. Note the resemblance to my daughter….

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Statue - Continued

The museum contains several life size body parts which were not used in the restoration. The scale is pretty impressive.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Statue - Continued

The exhibit ends with some touching letters written by contributors to the 20th century restoration. Each letter tells how the donor was a small child when the family crossed the Atlantic in third class in horrible weather, etc., etc. and what an absolute thrill it was to see the statue on entering New York Harbor. They were all very touching. Finally, you take an elevator to the top of the base. Before going out to the observation platform, you get a look up into the lighted interior of the statue.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Statue - Continued

The statue is held up by a central tower of cross braced steel like a bridge pier or radio tower. The copper skin is attached to form fitting ribs which are in turn attached to the tower. Like a modern commercial building’s curtainwall, the copper panels bear no weight.

From the observation level, you get a good sense of the site and an unobstructed panorama of New York Harbor.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Statue - Continued & CYCLING CONTENT

As we leave, I get another good look at the base and finally, some cycling content. I read somewhere that police bikes get a silent freewheel which is not sold to the general public so a bike cop can roll up undetected behind a suspect. I didn’t get a test ride so I can’t say if it’s true or not….

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Statue - Concluded

We make our way back to the ferry and home. On our way, we bid a final farewell.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Actually it is a special Shimano XT freehub.

KeeponTrekkin said:
As we leave, I get another good look at the base and finally, some cycling content. I read somewhere that police bikes get a silent freewheel which is not sold to the general public so a bike cop can roll up undetected behind a suspect. I didn’t get a test ride so I can’t say if it’s true or not….
We work on a lot of police bikes at Revolution Cycles, lots of officers ask for that hub but I think it is available to anyone as a special order.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
cool. we were just there, too.

Nice report, and nice way to work in some cycling-related content.

we just did the manhattan thing for spring break, and visited the statue on Mar 14. we were kind of freaked out by the puffs of the explosive-detector.

on that trip, i realized that you could really maximize a week-long visit to manhattan by bike. keep the bike in your hotel room, and make several day trips. you could hit all the neighborhoods, museums, ground zero, all of central park, etc., without cab or subway, and maybe more quickly than by cab/subway/foot. if only it were not so expensive to pack and travel with a bike.

i am attaching my fav statue pic from our trip...

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really like your picture

Thanks for adding it.

You're right about NYC. For all the traffic, there are a lot of bikes and dedicated bikeways too.

You might want to check ahead with the hotel about the bike in the room thing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts