Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quick question for you cycling fans out there...

Situation: You happen to stay at the same hotel as say... oh ... 3 Pro teams during a stage race. The moment you check in you see some riders that you recognize from TV, magazines etc... and you are somewhat star-struck. Would you

a) walk up to them and ask for autographs, pictures etc... ?
b) leave the fellas alone since they had a work day (i.e. stage) behind them and deserve the right to relax ?
c) take some pictures from across the room but do not bother them any further ?
d) other (please elaborate)?

Thanks a bunch. I will tell you what I did a couple of weeks ago at Paris_Nice. :)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Let them clean up and get some food. Personally it seems that they are the most rewarding of their time AFTER their group dinner. Basically once they come out from dinner they've had some time to relax ,and usually had massage before the meal, so most of their obligations are taken care of. Right after the race they typically are trying to find a soigneur or room list to find out where their luggage is and the snack table. Add to that that they have probably been bombarded since the morning.

I've seen the beat down when people get them on their way to dinner or right after the race. I also noticed that if you look like someone that is going to pester them they may not come near you but if your busy/disinterested they'll typically let their guard down a bit. The perfect example I can think of was post TdF stage that Botero won in Les Deux. I was in hotel with his team and Lampre. While I was working on my laptop in the lobby/bar Dierexsiens (sp) plopped down and started asking about if the hotel had decent connection and we hit it off. A few stages later he was struggling alone on the Columbiere and he saw me. He came across the road and tossed me his bottle. It's great to be a fan but sometimes it's best not to look so much like one. During my tme in the same lobby I struck it up with Botero who was waiting to do a TV interview next to where I was working. My fiance has family in Columbia so I used my bad spanish/span-lish to chit-chat.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
LSchoux said:

Situation: You happen to stay at the same hotel as say... oh ... 3 Pro teams during a stage race. The moment you check in you see some riders that you recognize from TV, magazines etc... and you are somewhat star-struck. Would you

b) leave the fellas alone since they had a work day (i.e. stage) behind them and deserve the right to relax ?

Thanks a bunch. I will tell you what I did a couple of weeks ago at Paris_Nice. :)
I think it depends on what they did that day. If it is a time trial stage, many of the riders treat it as somewhat of a day off, and some will be done fairly early, so they should be a little more approachable. If it was a tough mountain stage, you are best to stay clear until they have cleaned up, eaten, and relaxed. Imagine yourself doing the same race, and how you would feel afterwards, and that will give you your answer.

Personally, I might say "good race" as I or they walk by, but I'm not going to stop anyone in the lobby looking for an autograph or picture.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You mean spitting on them like they did Armstrong in the TdF isn't an option?
:confused:

Maybe mention that the hotel has bed bugs? hehe

LSchoux said:

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Personally...

LSchoux said:

Personally, I'd do nothing, or just say, "Hey, good ride today." and leave it at that. Then again, I'm not the autograph or picture hunting type at all. Maybe shake a hand and just say, "I'm a big fan, good ride." That's about it.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
LSchoux said:

find out which rooms they have and then sing celebration songs for them all night outside their door. They will thank you in the morning :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
At the 04 TDF

We stayed in the same hotel as Quick Step in Grenoble. We had just come back from Villard de Lans and had cleaned up when they walked in. Virenque had the polka dot jersey on and Bettini and Boonen were there too. Mick Rogers was on QS at that point and the Aussies I was with went crazy asking for pics and autographs (he was very accommodating and gracious). I just stepped toward the elevator a little in awe but said nothing. Servais Knaven walked up and I was the only person in the group that recognized him and told one of the people I was with who he was and that he had won P-R in 2001. I think he appreciated being recognized by an english speaking fan (let alone American) he turned around and smiled, winked and nodded. The coolest part was the elevator opened up and they made room for us to ride up with them. Lots of other cool stories from that trip too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically I agree with most comments but I will NOT sing to them at night... NO NO NO NO !!! Well... maybe if they let me ride in the peloton the next day... he he he...

Seriously... Here's what happened...

I knew that Paris-Nice was on... Duhhh ... I am of course a fan and a lyrca-clad-road-machine-pervert-cyclist. Since the weather was kinda crappy up here in Luxembourg I decided to head down to Provence for a 2-day cycling trip. Hey 3° and rain is much worse than 12° and sun.

So I called up a hotel in Avignon in the morning... by noon I was on the road and by 8:00pm I was in Avignon. As I parked my car I already saw the Rabobank bus and support cars. As it turned out there were 3 teams in the hotel I was in (Rabo, Bouygues and Davitamon).

I checked in at the front dest and headed to my room for the 1st time ... Met Voekler and 2 other Bouygues rides in the hallway.

2nd trip up (with my bike) I met Erik Dekker in the hallway...

3rd trip up I met Tom Steels and another rider ...

They actually came down from massage and headed to the restaurant.

Here's what I did... Each time I walked by I nodded recognition and left them alone. Since I ride a lot myself I can imagine that these guys do not want to be bothered. Yes, before the race start in Avignon I would have walked up to them and asked for a picture or an autograph, since that is what "fans" are supposed to do and these guys can mentally prepare for it.

However if you spend the day working and then can relax at night, I am pretty sure that you want to do just that. It's not that I was star struck but I just expressed my respect for these guys by giving them something that might not be readily available while the season is underway... Peace and Quiet !

Sure, I probably missed a couple of Photo-ops... or a few autographs (especially I would have loved one of Dekker who I really admire) but hey... I saw these guys and the next day I did something that brought me closer to the bunch as any picture or photograph would have done: I rode the same Col that they rode a few hours earlier. And that was the best.

Of course that's just me and I don't really expect all fans to behave this way. After all some fans may expect that these guys "owe" them something. Oh well...

Just my opinion though... Cheerio all ya' roadies out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts