Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WEDGE pack difficult to open

so what's the best way to keep the plastic zippers on these wedge packs that fit under the seat from getting stuck? I've added a twisty to make it easier to pull open, but still it's sometimes impossible to open.

Any wisdom on this?

--garyjaz

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
GaryJaz said:
so what's the best way to keep the plastic zippers on these fanny packs that fit under the seat from getting stuck? I've added a twisty to make it easier to pull open, but still it's sometimes impossible to open.

Any wisdom on this?

--garyjaz
It's a seat pack or seat bag. I despise the term fanny pack anyway (as would any regular user of British slang), but I'd say it refers to the bag you wear around your waist like a belt. Call it what you want, I guess, I'm just saying.

I find keeping them clean and dry helps the most--even a little gunk in the zipper makes it hard to work.

If yours is already sticky, a little lubricant really helps with the zippers--I like a touch of tri-flow or penetrating oil. Put it in the slider and work it back and forth until the whole thing is lightly lubed. You gotta be careful not to use too much--you don't want to attract dirt.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Adjusting the spider

GaryJaz said:
so what's the best way to keep the plastic zippers on these fanny packs that fit under the seat from getting stuck?
First, if it's a fanny pack, then it doesn't go under the seat. That said, graphite (pencil "lead") makes a good lubricant that won't attract dirt. The most likely problem is that the fabric is bunching as you pull on the zipper, so it may just be a technique issue. Absent that, you may need to adjust the spider (the clamping device that threads the zipper together and apart) by either spreading it apart with a small screwdriver blade, or pinching it together with pliers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
First, if it's a fanny pack, then it doesn't go under the seat. That said, graphite (pencil "lead") makes a good lubricant that won't attract dirt. The most likely problem is that the fabric is bunching as you pull on the zipper, so it may just be a technique issue. Absent that, you may need to adjust the spider (the clamping device that threads the zipper together and apart) by either spreading it apart with a small screwdriver blade, or pinching it together with pliers.

Guess they're called wedges, sorry. It gets mud splattered over the plastic zipper all the time because of its location. It's definitely not a fabric issue. I will try some vegetable oil (don't want tri-flow to get in).

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
GaryJaz said:
It gets mud splattered over the plastic zipper all the time because of its location.
Fenders

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
It's a seat pack or seat bag. I despise the term fanny pack anyway (as would any regular user of British slang),
I just learned about the differing use of the world "fanny" from an Australian woman on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. She said that when she saw "fanny pack" on the recommending packing list for the tour company, she wondered if it was American for "tampon." :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.