Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably belongs in the Southern California forum, but what fun is that?!

Every year one of the local bike clubs hosts a hill-climbing event on the steepest paved road in California. 33%. Ouch!

I didn't actually attempt the climb, as I rode there on my Pista. 48-18 isn't making it up that hill. Next year I'll probably plan ahead and gear the Pista appropriately.

Roebuck

I have a few more pics on my site.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Zowie.

Holy Moses! There are a lot of short steep climbs here along the Mississippi. That thing looks like it's a pain to pave!

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
cydswipe said:
Holy Moses! There are a lot of short steep climbs here along the Mississippi. That thing looks like it's a pain to pave!
Yeah... on a hot day, all the asphalt ends up at the bottom of the hill.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
nice pics!

I rode my DeRosa there from the valley and hopped on a borrowed singlespeed 29er to get my one summit in for the year. :) It's pretty nerve-wracking to get started up it and wonder if you're gonna make it. The gearing on the SS made it no prob. Saw a couple of painful looking tumbles when riders stalled and couldn't unclip. Also saw some fixies go up with 22:23 gearing.

more pics on the SoCal board on mtbr.com

JT

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought for some reason that might have been you on the tallbike!

What size chainring on the SS? Curious to see what I'll have to do to my Pista if I'm going to try it next year.

One guy was zig-zagging on a mountain bike. He got to the right side of the road, turned up, and ran out of room. He sort of fell off the bike as it was rolling backwards. He didn't get hurt, but it looked like it could have been real nasty. I can imagine some awkward falls, sprained ankles, etc.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I've seen that event on TV last year and I have been wondering where in the hell that street is..I'm assuming San Pedro? Dr. Roebuck, do you know how long that hill is?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Fargo Street is just to the east of Glendale Blvd, on the border between Silverlake and Echo Park. Near the base is a very good Spanish restaurant, the aptly named Restaurant Spain.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stihl said:
I'm assuming San Pedro? Dr. Roebuck, do you know how long that hill is?
San Pedro's a good guess, based on the terrain. But it's actually in Echo Park/Silverlake. Sort of off Glendale Blvd. (Allesandro, actually), a little north of Sunset. I attached a big-a$$ map.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I know this probably belongs in the Southern California forum, but what fun is that?!

Every year one of the local bike clubs hosts a hill-climbing event on the steepest paved road in California. 33%. Ouch!

I didn't actually attempt the climb, as I rode there on my Pista. 48-18 isn't making it up that hill. Next year I'll probably plan ahead and gear the Pista appropriately.

Roebuck

I have a few more pics on my site.
Results have been posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts