Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
214 miles – the sun wasn't quite up when we left, but still all in one day (14 hours total travel time, just over 11.5 hours on the bike).

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Rome to Athens....

Georgia. I took a route north of Lake Lanier on the way back from Rome, making that day's distance 152 miles. Two days earlier my route around the other end of the lake was only 125 miles.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
207 gravel if not limited by sundown - 175 sun up to sun down.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ouch! Mine was probably about 130-ish in a little less time. There was a hill!
Yeah not a ton of climbing maybe 3000' but, rather windy. My comrades were a pro, three cat 1 badasses and me. I credit the pro and one of the other badasses for really keeping it rolling the last 30 miles. Great lesson in energy, nutrition and hydration management!

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
About 150 miles. Three of us were riding from White River Junction, VT to Middlefield CT.
We reached Plainville, CT when a drunk driver passed by me and hit my 2 riding companions, then fled the scene. Fortunately, a witness followed the car and called police.

The perp had just gotten out of jail.

On a lighter note, and true story:

During that ride, I was eating Fig Newtons and grapes, but my body started craving meat.

At one point I said to Bob, "I could go for a McDonald's cheeseburger." We passed by one McD's but I figured I'd wait for the next one.

Further on I said to Bob, "I could REALLY go for a McDonald's cheeseburger." We slightly altered our route to hit the McD's on Corbin Avenue in New Britain.

We were roughly 5 or so miles from McD's and had stopped at a convenience store to fill up our bottles when I said to Bob, "I could REALLY go for a f^%&in' McDonald's cheeseburger!"

Bob says to me, "They've got ham and cheese sandwiches in the store."

I DON'T WANT A HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH; I WANT A F^%&IN McDONALD'S CHEESEBURGER!" (I was craving one something fierce by now.)

A few miles later the drunk driver struck.

Ken took an ambulance ride to New Britain General Hospital. Bob called his brother to come pick us up and drive us to Bob's house.

At Bob's house, we figure we better go to NBGH and see how Ken is doing.

"But first," I demanded, "I want a f^%&in' McDonald's cheeseburger!"

So we stopped at McDonald's before going to see Ken. Even Bob ordered a cheeseburger because of my insistence on eating one.

That was the best cheeseburger I've ever tasted.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
About 150 miles but it was relatively flat only 3,000 feet or so. The route was from Manhattan on 11th avenue and 31st to Montauk Long Island. Outside of that my longest has been 115 miles and I don't really have a desire to go beyond that, but truth be told I tend to target elevation more than distance on my rides. I'm an elevation junkie and plan every ride outside of recovery efforts around some type of climb profile

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
120 miles. Solo. Texas Med Ctr to Surfside TX, and back. Memorial Day weekend 2003. At Surfside, said hello to the volunteers passing out trash bags for that notoriously trashy beach weekend, asked if they would watch my bike for a few minutes, cooled my toes in the water for a few minutes, then headed back north to Med Ctr. When you see the Houston skyline appear, you know you can make it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
A little over 100 miles. Did a century when I was 16 y/o. I'm 47 now. Longest ride since is maybe 70 miles. I plan to do another century someday, but I just don't enjoy riding after 3 or so hours. That's why I never became a pro :) (and the fact I'm built like a linebacker)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I used to ride a century during each of the summer months (J/J/A) , but not lately.

Longest single day was 120mi - Scotts Valley, CA to Carmel and return.
Pacifica to Santa Cruz is about the same distance, but felt shorter with the prevalent tailwinds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
201 miles. Friend and I. We started after 10:00 AM, but the summer days in Minnesota are pretty long. We attacked each other up the climbs after 185 miles. Only 7300 feet of climbing though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts