Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, that's it in a nutshell. I've been running Michelin Carbon 23's and am impressed with their efficiency but don't feel comfortable leaning into turns; they feel vague or something that I just can't put my finger on. Used to love doing that, so I switched to Huchinson Excel 25's, only 10 psi lower pressure, and curve carving's fun again. But it feels like the pavement's sucking on the back tire when I'm trying to ride fast.

Both are durable, which is also important.

What corners like the Excel but rolls like the Carbons without being flat-prone?

(Previous to this I didn't have any tires in the sub-30mm range. They were all beefier hybrid tires, either knobby for trails or treaded for road, so these are the only two dedicated road tires I've any experience with.)

· Registered
1,469 Posts
michelin krylion carbon?

FWIW, they replaced Michelin (Axial) Carbon with Michelin Krylion Carbon for 2006. Also, some tyres react better to different pressure and the road surface is critical too. How much do you weigh and what pressure do you use on 23C Michelin Carbon? Most road riders do not need anything above 100-110psi riding 700*23C clinchers, for group/training rides anyhow. And if the road is wet then drop down 10psi i.e. 100psi is all you need unless you weigh 200# or more and even them 110psi is most likely all you will ever need in 23C clincher. I did a test a couple of times riding the same course at 100psi and 110psi and my performance was the same but comfort levels at 100psi was better. So I use 100psi now on my 23C clinchers.

I used to weigh ~160# a couple of years ago and I used to ride on 90psi (23C) and never had a pinch flat. Now I weigh 145# and ride on 100psi because I have a carbon frame which offers more comfort than my old aluminium frame did.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was running the Carbons at 110 psi, though it might drop a smidge when I unhook the pump head. I'll put them back on for a Friday ride at 100 psi and see how it feels in the turns. I'm 187 lbs, and the bike's a little heavy since it has a 13-year-old steel hybrid frame. I figure that's like me being 190-195 lbs on a modern road bike.

Is the Krylion Carbon a new model of the tires? I bought mine around 4 months ago under the name of "Michelin Carbon" on the sidewall with red stripes, so I'm not sure which I have. Do you like the Krylion's better?

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Maxxis Detonators....25mm.....are muy nice, as are Maxxis Hors Categorie....23mm. The Detonators are more durable than the Hors Categorie and weigh about the same as Carbons. For moi, the Hors Categorie tires were as durable as the Mich Carbons but more confident feeling in the wet. They seemed to roll well. As it stands, I like the Detonators about as much as the Hors Categorie, but I've only got about 1000 miles or so on 'em right now.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alienator said:
For moi, the Hors Categorie tires were as durable as the Mich Carbons but more confident feeling in the wet.
Good to know. How about in the dry when you're diving into a corner -- how have they compared for you for that?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rivendell's Rolly-Polly tires?

Anyone have experience with Michelin Carbons and Rivendell's Rolly-Polly's? I thought about these previously but stayed away because they're 27mm to my fast 23's and I dunno what pressure they'll accept.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Good to know. How about in the dry when you're diving into a corner -- how have they compared for you for that?
They feel a bit more sure footed than the Carbons--both Maxxis models do--but there's a lot of subjectivity to how a tire "feels" and many things influence that feel: inflation pressures; rider sensitivity; rider position on the bike; yada yada yada. As Confucious and Yoda said, YMMV.

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
splitting hairs

I think dropping the pressure on the Carbons will help improve the ride. FWIW, I ride the Carbons in a weekly "non-competitive" crit series, commute 5 days a week on them, and ride a lot of the climbs around Reno/Tahoe on the weekends. These are my favorite tires. The combination of grip and puncture resistance is hard to beat.

Prior to the Carbons I went through various tires in the Axial series, Panaracer Stradius, and a bunch of other tires... The Carbons are the only one I've repeatedly purchased. They are very stable on the corners for the crit series and I've routinely had them at 40+ MPH on switchback mountain descents...

I go 190 lb and run the Carbons at 100 to 105 PSIG. You might also take a look at your wheelset. Flexy wheels give me more of an uneasy feeling then most tires...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.