Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever seen a Venge with a bike trailer? Kinda like seeing a sports car with a trailer hitch. Oh well, I got a hard ride in plus spent time with the family. :D I used to do this all the time with my alumunim bike, but is anyone aware of issues this may cause with a carbon bike? The trailer connects through the axle, so it's not like it's directly clamped on the carbon or anything.

View attachment 275702

Anyone else have goofy pics with their trailers?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Looks like great weather, where are you?

I only have this one pic of our old trailer but I did many miles with kids in it. Pulled it with road, mtb, even a recumbent. No carbon though. Your bike will be fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey....don't knock the guy. He's getting a great workout :) BTW - I see Infiniti G37x with trailer hitches all the time usually with a bike rack on it. I never once thought it was weird until I saw a road bike fall off the rack on the freeway....I felt bad for the owner but at the same time, i was kind of laughing.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've ridden my CAAD with the trail before, but prefer the mtb since usually short trips around town.

Your carbon will be fine. Manufacturers actually test frames my clamping front and rear axles then twisting/bumping/flexing them independently of each other. Saw it on How It's Made tv show at the Trek factory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees- I'm in Denver. High 50's and sunny today! (and a brutal headwind coming back) Love that helmet on your little one!

Glad to hear I won't hurt the carbon. I don't like to do it very often, but damn the bike feels fast the very next ride after using the trailer!!!! Our son loves chilling in the trailer. Usually he sleeps, but he's pretty entertained just watching the world go by.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I used to do it all the time, and may be doing it again in the near future. A quality bike trailer like that (Chariot) puts less stress on a bike than the cheaper ones, and is a lot more pleasant to tow around. Even then, when my daughter got to be 4 years old it was time to move her out of the trailer. That was a lot of weight to tow up hills with road bike gearing.

Now I'm towing my daughter around on her trail-a-bike behind the 'cross bike because it's more stable than the road bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to see people actually do this! I just got a CAAD and with twins was wondering if I needed a second bike for the occasional family ride. Was planning on doing a lot of 5am rides before kids woke up but this is interesting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't think structurally there would be any issues as long as you were using a hitch setup that runs off a skewer through the hub. Technically, a number of bike manufacturers say towing a trailer with a carbon frame voids the warranty. I checked directly with Cannondale and Felt last year while bike shopping and they both explicitly said they would not honor their warranty if they found a trailer was involved. I keep an old cross bike around for that reason.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Gotta do what ou gotta do. It's all good.

I have no kids so I don't have to make my s-works blush. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the trailer out again today. The occaisonal squeeks from the trailer always make me paranoid I'm going to break something, but as everyone has confirmed it is through the axle so there shouldn't be issues.

I have to say, it's always a huge ego boost when you're able to pass another cyclist pulling the trailer. Of course they are not cat _ racers or anything, but it still feels good! Most people are surprised and offer some encouragement or laugh that my son is sound asleep.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm with you bhenry.
I'm thinking of hitching my Merlin to a trailer and hit the road.

Are there any lightweight alternatives to an Extrawheel trailer?
Bob looks like overkill for my gear.

Are there any negatives with single wheel trailers vs. two-wheel trailers
(such as roll-axis torque due to the fixed axle mount)?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I took the trailer out again today. The occaisonal squeeks from the trailer always make me paranoid I'm going to break something, but as everyone has confirmed it is through the axle so there shouldn't be issues.

I have to say, it's always a huge ego boost when you're able to pass another cyclist pulling the trailer. Of course they are not cat _ racers or anything, but it still feels good! Most people are surprised and offer some encouragement or laugh that my son is sound asleep.
And I got a great big unboost. I was climbing a moderate grade and got passed by a mom and dad with a kid in a trailer. And Mom was riding the bike with the trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used a chariot cougar 1 for hauling my son. Seemed to work great both up and down the hills. I did a lot of miles last year with my son hooked up (3 yr old) to my venge. Most of the miles were hill climbs- it became a fun challenge plus my wife was very pregnant and it slowed me down more to her pace. The only problem I ever had was 1 flat on the rear wheel when I hit a bump very hard. Oh and my son after a while figured out he could put his foot on my tire and make it much harder to pedal!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.