Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I glued up some tires with Fast Tack last night, mostly because I had some around and figured I'd use it up--I don't use it often and was interested in how people apply it in terms of curing time--I put a coat of normal glue on the base tape and let it dry and put some fast tack on a rim with some old glue already on it then attached the tire fairly soon there after, making for a strong bond but a lot of mess I need to clean off--should I just let it dry for a few hours next time?

As an aside, I was mounting some Conti Sprinters--those are the tightest tires I have ever used, I needed a screwdriver to get the last bit on my Mavic rims--any suggestions for working with these tires? I stretched them on my foot and mounted them on a rim, all that stuff but they are still very tight.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Before you do it again

Before you use FasTack again, be sure you have the experience of trying to remove the tire you mounted. My experience with FasTack was that it was nearly impossible to remove the tire. The base tape ripped in several places, even when trying to cut it away from the rim with a pocket knife. The adhesive bond was stronger than the base tape. Obviously, the tire was ruined. You never had to worry about the tire rolling off the rim, but I would never use the stuff because of the near impossibility of changing the tire.

As to the difficulty of mounting the Conti Sprinter (or any tough to mount tire), the trick is to really lean on the tire when you first put it on the rim. Put the valve in the valve hole, then grab the tire on each side of the valve at about 3:00 and 9:00 and put your FULL body weight into stretching the tire as you lay it on the rim, and work around the tire with as much force as you can muster. If you don't do this, you'll never "get it back" by trying to pull really hard for the last 1/3 of mounting the tire.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Before you use FasTack again, be sure you have the experience of trying to remove the tire you mounted. My experience with FasTack was that it was nearly impossible to remove the tire. The base tape ripped in several places, even when trying to cut it away from the rim with a pocket knife. The adhesive bond was stronger than the base tape. Obviously, the tire was ruined. You never had to worry about the tire rolling off the rim, but I would never use the stuff because of the near impossibility of changing the tire.
Huh. Not my experience(s). I've ripped a few basetapes, but its not 'normal' for me.

As to the difficulty of mounting the Conti Sprinter (or any tough to mount tire), the trick is to really lean on the tire when you first put it on the rim. Put the valve in the valve hole, then grab the tire on each side of the valve at about 3:00 and 9:00 and put your FULL body weight into stretching the tire as you lay it on the rim, and work around the tire with as much force as you can muster. If you don't do this, you'll never "get it back" by trying to pull really hard for the last 1/3 of mounting the tire.
What he said.

M

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Fast tack also causes the base tape on conti tires to come loose so it's not a great choice for them. I don't think it's a great choice for any tire. The research I have seen on glues rated it worse than Conti and Vittoria mastic 1 glue for holding power. A good Vittoria glue job will destroy a tire too, but why are you removing a tubular unless it's trashed anyway?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Huh?

terzo rene said:
why are you removing a tubular unless it's trashed anyway?
Uh, that would be because you had a flat? Or do you just let the air go out of a perfectly good tire and then ride on the rim until the tire is indeed trashed? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts