Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my average speed is creeping upwards. my 24 mile circuit average is up from 14.2 to 16.1mph but that doesn't tell the whole story. it's the last 8 miles that kill my average. i'm just spent and limp home at about 12-13 mph after riding 17-18mph for the first 16 miles. i could maintain a slower pace and not be drained, but the faster pace is a good work out.

the problem with the faster pace and being drained is the serious hunger that evening. i want to eat everything i can find. that is killing my weight loss. last night i nearly emptied the fridge.

should i slow the pace down and just do some intervals to get aerobic for a portion of the ride to minimize the hunger?

·
2 wheels & a crank
97 Posts
I'm with you and am interested in others responses...

After a 30 mile ride this past weekend, I could have ate the whole fridge.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are you eating anything on your ride? At 1.5 hours on the bike, I can go without eating, but normally I would eat one time for that timeframe. For a long time, I rode about the same distance without any real improvements. Going longer and slower, combined with eating on the bike has made me stronger, have better endurance, and I don't get that starving feeling anymore. To sum up, you should have something in your stomach before you start that ride and consume a gel (or whatever you choose), about halfway thru. Also, start doing longer rides if you can spare the time. It is way easier than you think if you remember to eat along the way. One more item, you might find that one water bottle with electrolytes will also help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't think the problem is the way you're riding. If your eating is out of control, the way you ride isn't going to do much for your weight.

But without knowing your specific cycling goals, I think you should work on doing the circuit as fast as possible, which means work on pacing to avoid that slow down towards the end. Pacing is one of the hardest things to master as a cyclist. You'll also burn more calories this way, which means more weight loss if you can control your eating.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Try drinking a sht load of water. Perhaps you're confusing thirst with hunger. Don't know much about that but I've heard it's pretty common and that would seem a logical possibility here because a 24 mile ride shouldn't create any way out of the ordinary food needs.

Sounds like you have a catch 22 and one side needs to give. Cutting back on workouts because it makes you eat to much isn't a good long term plan for overall health so it's the chow down that needs to give somehow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You need to eat something about 45 minutes into your ride. Your is running out of energy, and you need to replace it. One gu/gel/clif bar at 45 minutes should be plenty to get you to the end of your ride. Afterward, you won't feel like you want to empty the fridge into your mouth! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cableguy said:
I don't think the problem is the way you're riding. If your eating is out of control, the way you ride isn't going to do much for your weight.

But without knowing your specific cycling goals, I think you should work on doing the circuit as fast as possible, which means work on pacing to avoid that slow down towards the end. Pacing is one of the hardest things to master as a cyclist. You'll also burn more calories this way, which means more weight loss if you can control your eating.
Easier said than done on the eating tips, sometimes... I can relate to this overwhelming hunger at times and for me it is not necessarily an issue of willpower or just "wanting" to pig out.

I agree with the above posters who recommends looking at pacing and incorporating longer, slower rides into your regiment as well as experimenting with eating during these more intense rides or looking into how you're eating 2-3 hours before them.

Last year was my first season of riding seriously and I had all sorts of problems with getting into that hungry place you describe. Sometimes it was a psychological thing, but I was going too hard too often and not eating enough in general, which will definitely set you up for a feeding frenzy if you limit calories too much.

If you are a new to riding it's important to be patient with getting your of fitness to the levels you are expecting. And if you find that your physiology isn't tolerating the training you're doing now, then incorporate some more steady base mileage and EASY rides to balance intensity.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Bad ascii.

No twinkie.

Or do like my friend did, and permit yourself as much plain oatmeal, or, green salads without dressing, as you'd like...

·
Registered
197 Posts
depleting yourself

The reason you are so hungry after your hard ride is that you are depleting your body of too many nutrients during the ride to the point where your body can't maintain or recover. You need to carry an energy drink and/or food as well as water and use it during the ride before you get hungry and thirsty. As soon as you finish the ride, drink some more energy drink and eat a little more food. Once you deplete yourself like you are currently doing, you will have a raging hunger the rest of the day that you can't satisfy no matter how much you eat and drink. 24 miles is enough distance to require that you eat and drink calories during the ride. Hot, cold, doesn't matter...when exercising you mow through your reserves in 45 minutes or less.

So:

1) Find an energy drink that you like and fill one bottle (I like powdered Gatorade in orange or red[whatever] flavor). Fill the other bottle with plain water.
2) Find an easily digestible, easy to carry food that you like and put it in a baggy in one rear pocket. I like either a PB&J sandwich or a cinnamon raisin bagel.
3) Start the ride hydrated and not already hungry.
4) Start drinking both the Gatorade and the water within a few minutes of starting your ride. Keep drinking it steadily through the ride with the goal of finishing both bottles by the end of your ride.
5) About 45 minutes into your ride, eat your food. You'll probably have to slow down to eat, but that's OK. Bust a$$ for 45 minutes, slow down to eat and digest a few minutes, then bust a$$ again. You will feel the difference once you get cranked up again.
6) As soon as you get home, drink and eat something again.

Basically, I think you are digging way too far into your body's reserves during your ride and its very difficult to recover from that. Your workout will be far more effective and you'll be much less likely to overeat after your ride if you keep your energy / nutrition / hydration topped up during the ride so you can keep riding hard and get tired, but not depleted.

Also, keep in mind that its very difficult to ride hard for longer than one hour. Your muscles get tired. Its nice to be able to mix up longer, slower rides with shorter, harder rides. But I understand not everyone has the time to that. Before I started a family, I routinely rode 4-5 hours and made sure I ate at least every hour, even if it meant stopping to buy more food. Now I limit myself to 2 hours max unless my wife and kids are travelling without me or I am away from home myself on business.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
maximum15 said:
Listen to bikemoore, he has answered very well.
With all due respect I was thinking the opposite. I'm not a nutritionalist but I really don't think anyone is "depleting" themself of a refrigerator worth of food in 24 miles.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It can be an adjustment period, also. If you are fairly new to riding this distance at a hard pace, your body hasn't figured out what is going on yet and is making an assumption that it better load up because you are placing new demands. It doesn't know if you're doing this for 2 hours a day, or just taking a break and getting ready to hit it again.

Soon the body will figure out you're just going to be making a hard exertion for a few hours and adjust its hunger response.

·
Registered
197 Posts
body gets fooled

It's not that he's depleting himself of a full refrigerator's worth of calories. Technically, he has put enough calories back in not long after he raids the fridge the first time. But regardless, his body/brain believe they are depleted and continue to be depleted the rest of the day no matter how much he eats and drinks. So, he consumes way more calories than he has burned with his workout in a losing effort to quell the severe hunger he feels. I'm no nutritionist / sports physiologist, so I'm staying away from technical terms...but I have done exactly what he is talking about too many times myself. I also read a very good article by Jonathan Vaughters a few years ago where he talked about this as well.

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Drink lots of water. It seems to do a decent job for me, and I've read in many articles in magazines and all over the internet that it can help suppress hunger fairly well. YMMV, but it's worth a try at 0 calories per glass.

I thought this was a decent little read on the subject.
http://www.naturalnews.com/003550.html

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
With all due respect I was thinking the opposite. I'm not a nutritionalist but I really don't think anyone is "depleting" themself of a refrigerator worth of food in 24 miles.
That would extrapolate to each pro rider consuming a truck full of food after each race :)
(numbers pulled from an appropriate place for this sub-thread).

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
asciibaron said:
my average speed is creeping upwards. my 24 mile circuit average is up from 14.2 to 16.1mph but that doesn't tell the whole story. it's the last 8 miles that kill my average. i'm just spent and limp home at about 12-13 mph after riding 17-18mph for the first 16 miles. i could maintain a slower pace and not be drained, but the faster pace is a good work out.

the problem with the faster pace and being drained is the serious hunger that evening. i want to eat everything i can find. that is killing my weight loss. last night i nearly emptied the fridge.

should i slow the pace down and just do some intervals to get aerobic for a portion of the ride to minimize the hunger?
guessing wildly here on your behalf. The last 8 miles, any chance you are just seeing that tempting fridge in your mind waiting for you at home? If this is an afternoon/evening ride you might be running on a half-empty stomach so you end up more hungry than necessary. A very small meal before might help then.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Argentius said:
No twinkie.

Or do like my friend did, and permit yourself as much plain oatmeal, or, green salads without dressing, as you'd like...
Plain oatmeal is a good filler. I used to keep the individual packets at work and eat one whenever I got hungry. Always limited myself to just one. Got great results.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Most of us don't eat enough early in the day. I have gradually increased the amount of breakfast I eat over the years. I also time my meals throughout the day, I never go more than 3 hours without something.
IMHO it's better to eat the bulk of your calories before 5:00 at night, and before 2:00 p.m. if possible. This has everything to do with how you ride that day, and how you ride the next day. It also keeps those late in the day binges in check if you already feel satisfied from your frequent small meals through out the day.
While eating during a ride is advisable, keeping the main gas tank topped off beforehand really helps.
Just my opinion, that type of diet works well for me by ymmv.
Oh yea, I also eat the bulk of my carbs earlier in the day, and transition to a higher percentage of protein later in the day. The exception being when I have a big ride the next day of course.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ArkRider said:
It can be an adjustment period, also. If you are fairly new to riding this distance at a hard pace, your body hasn't figured out what is going on yet and is making an assumption that it better load up because you are placing new demands. It doesn't know if you're doing this for 2 hours a day, or just taking a break and getting ready to hit it again.

Soon the body will figure out you're just going to be making a hard exertion for a few hours and adjust its hunger response.
This is/was my experinces. Early in the season I am starving the first two weeks, then it settles down.

My morning 25 mile loop I am fine afterwards, but the 32 mile circuit I am hungry all day. Experience has shown that my body will adjust if I do the 32 mile route enough.

Be sure to eat something before you ride, especially if these are morning circuits. I have a bowl of cereal with bannana and raisins. Or uncooked oatmeal with yogurt and some fruit. I've also started drinking a glass of water while getting dressed. I am noticeably less thirsty for longer than before doing that.

Seeing my avg speed increase is a rewarding experience for me. Nice job.

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts