Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a '93 Giant Nutra hybrid bicycle that I've pretty much dusted off and put into use as my road bike for the moment pending the purchase of a dedicated road bike at least six months down the road. I presently have Continental touring tires on it, and am amazed at how sloooooooooooow my ride is. What's a faster tire that will fit a hybrid or a good place to look for them? I've tried looking around online, but tracking down hybrid tires has been difficult because most sites simply categorize road or mountain bike tires. I'm not looking for something that'll also tackle gravel or dirt, as I can always swap back to the Conti's when needed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks and yes, they're 700C - forgot to mention that. To measure the rim's width do I do inside or outside width?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Hi all,

I have a '93 Giant Nutra hybrid bicycle that I've pretty much dusted off and put into use as my road bike for the moment pending the purchase of a dedicated road bike at least six months down the road. I presently have Continental touring tires on it, and am amazed at how sloooooooooooow my ride is. What's a faster tire that will fit a hybrid or a good place to look for them? I've tried looking around online, but tracking down hybrid tires has been difficult because most sites simply categorize road or mountain bike tires. I'm not looking for something that'll also tackle gravel or dirt, as I can always swap back to the Conti's when needed.

Thanks in advance.
I assume that it uses 700c tires. Hybrid tires are just wider road tires. Any 700c road tire will work as long as it isn't too narrow for the width of your rims. I believe that the rule of thumb is to use tires at least 2mm wider than your rim. So if you have a 22mm rim, pick up a set of 25mm road tires and you will be good to go. - TF

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Thanks and yes, they're 700C - forgot to mention that. To measure the rim's width do I do inside or outside width?
It may say on the sticker. I believe (that's two 'I believes' for this project - carefull) that they are measured on the inside underneath the bead. - TF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took some measurements last night and it appears to be 18mm -- narrower than I'd expected. With the extra weight of it, etc, would 23 be a reasonable minimum size?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Zaurusman said:
I took some measurements last night and it appears to be 18mm -- narrower than I'd expected. With the extra weight of it, etc, would 23 be a reasonable minimum size?
A 23 would be fine. A certainly would not go any smaller even on a road bike. I ride 25s on my every-day road bike. - TF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a significant difference in rolling resistance/weight between 23 and 25? Thanks for all your help, BTW.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Zaurusman said:
Is there a significant difference in rolling resistance/weight between 23 and 25? Thanks for all your help, BTW.
No significant difference. Start with the 23s. Use a pressure of 85 psi if you are real light to 105 psi if heavy. If you have pinch flats (wheel hits a bump and the tube is pinched between the rim and tire= two small holes like a snake bite) then go to the next larger size with the same pressure. Lowest rolling resistance and more comfort. - TF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good deal. Thanks for your advice, Turbo - appreciate the quick, simple answers. Time to go read some reviews and buy some tires!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts