Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a rather hard Century here in VA. 10k of climbing over 108 miles including Thunder Ridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway (3300 ft in 12.5 mi). I don't have a computer and didnt' notice the time but I think I finished in around 6:45 including stops. I was the 5th rider in of about 20 or so on the century.

I had my 2nd fastest time up the climb on thunder ridge on the Singlespeed with a 44/18. My fastest geared was 1:10, I did it in 1:17 on the Singlespeed including a rest stop half way up. I guess I was really around 1:12 or so if you take out the rest stop. And it hurt less than when I did it on the geared bike. I'm riding stronger this year but it feels like for most climbing under the ungodly steep category I'm stronger with the SS. I was spinning out on the flats but made up for it on the climbs. On one section I was barely hanging on to a group of 4 through the rollers. We hit some short steep climbs so I took off and I never saw them again.

Overall I probably would have been faster on the geared bike due to making up time on the flats. But on the long climb where you think it would cost time I think I was faster on the SS. Anyone else feel faster on their singlespeed on longer rides. Riding the SS has reminded me that sitting and spinning isn't the only option.

And no I didn't consider the fixie option for this ride. The 10+ mile downhills would have killed me.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
VaughnA said:
I just did a rather hard Century here in VA. 10k of climbing over 108 miles including Thunder Ridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway (3300 ft in 12.5 mi). I don't have a computer and didnt' notice the time but I think I finished in around 6:45 including stops. I was the 5th rider in of about 20 or so on the century.

I had my 2nd fastest time up the climb on thunder ridge on the Singlespeed with a 44/18. My fastest geared was 1:10, I did it in 1:17 on the Singlespeed including a rest stop half way up. I guess I was really around 1:12 or so if you take out the rest stop. And it hurt less than when I did it on the geared bike. I'm riding stronger this year but it feels like for most climbing under the ungodly steep category I'm stronger with the SS. I was spinning out on the flats but made up for it on the climbs. On one section I was barely hanging on to a group of 4 through the rollers. We hit some short steep climbs so I took off and I never saw them again.

Overall I probably would have been faster on the geared bike due to making up time on the flats. But on the long climb where you think it would cost time I think I was faster on the SS. Anyone else feel faster on their singlespeed on longer rides. Riding the SS has reminded me that sitting and spinning isn't the only option.

And no I didn't consider the fixie option for this ride. The 10+ mile downhills would have killed me.
only in FL, VA and Kansas.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I think people may find themselves faster on a singlespeed becasue they may be forced into a harder gear than they would normally ride. Instead of downshifting, they just pedal harder.

By analogy, I normally commute faster, even on easy days, on my fixie than on a geared bike becasue I have to go fairly fast to stay ontop of the gearing.

· hello
3,395 Posts
On long hilly rides where I'm appropriately geared I'm always faster on a geared bike than on a single speed, and slowest on a fixed gear.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pablo said:
I think people may find themselves faster on a singlespeed becasue they may be forced into a harder gear than they would normally ride. Instead of downshifting, they just pedal harder.

By analogy, I normally commute faster, even on easy days, on my fixie than on a geared bike becasue I have to go fairly fast to stay ontop of the gearing.
Exactly, If I can force myself to not shift in certain situations I can probably go faster on the geared bike. But the temptation to shift is just too great sometimes. On the singlespeed or even the fixie you just deal with it and go. And I usually want it to be over quickly, which means get to the top as fast as possible.

· hello
3,395 Posts
But when you factor in flatland and rollers, the higher gear inches available to you on the geared bike can definitely be advantageous over the single speed.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
roadfix said:
But when you factor in flatland and rollers, the higher gear inches available to you on the geared bike can definitely be advantageous over the single speed.
That's what I said in the OP, I think I would have been faster for the overall ride on the Geared bike because of the flatland and rollers but on the climbs, including a LONG one where most people think gears are the advantage, I'm as fast or faster on the Singlespeed. People just look at me funny when I say that it really isn't that much harder than geared, just a lot more fun!

· hello
3,395 Posts
VaughnA said:
That's what I said in the OP, I think I would have been faster for the overall ride on the Geared bike because of the flatland and rollers but on the climbs, including a LONG one where most people think gears are the advantage, I'm as fast or faster on the Singlespeed. People just look at me funny when I say that it really isn't that much harder than geared, just a lot more fun!
Oops....I didn't read your OP carefully the first time. I agree with what you had to say in your OP. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.