Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been off road racing for quite a few years. Latest I remember, I had a steel bike I converted to singlespeed, and race it with the crappiest diamond tread 28mm Tufo's I had laying around. Heavy and slow, but it went fine actually.
I want to get back into the game, but detesting the 21-23mm skinnies I've been smoking on the commutes the past years. My reasons to go wider are obvious, but I'll summarize the shortly: no increase in rolling resistance, only bad air drag at really high speeds, nicer over bmps, more air to keep my fat ass from the street, better grip and stability in corners. I am not worried about weight, just rolling resistance.

I know the scene and manufacturers are really slowly warming up to the idea of there being some isolate cases where a tire that is not 23mm might have some traits for selected parts of a race. But what has been the result, what to shop for?
My bike will take 30mm tires, 32mm if their undersized I suppose. Are there race tires out there NOT designed for loaded touring or leisurely enjoying the scenery I might try?
Bontrager used to sport some 30mm tires on commuting bikes, but they seemed a bit bulky to me then. Too much puncture proof, etc.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,

J

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
It's gonna be hit and miss, but generally you look for a well-reviewed road tire and check the mfr's site to see if they make it in a 25. Rarely in a 28 and almost never in a 32. Then you plug the mfr's part number or description into google to see who carries, or ask your lbs to order it.

I've raced on Avocet 28's which I like because they are smooth and have a nice rubber compound. Lately I've been on Continental's in 25.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Are you the same Cloxxki for MTBR???

Of clinchers considered to be nice race tires there are a handful in 25, Conti GP4000, Vred Fortezza Tri Comp, and Michelin ProRace.

The GP4000s using the newer Black Chili compound are nicer than the previous GP4000. It may be tough to find ProRaces in 25 because the ProRace2 is no longer made (maybe find a closeout) and the PR3 in 25 isn't due til late summer. Incidentally, I have a teammate that ended up with some PR2s in 25 by chance and raves about how comfy they are.

Wider than 25? I've read good things about the Panaracer Pasela. Also, heard some nice things about the Specialized Roubaix tire but I don't recall their width.

Hope that helps. I'll go back to my pondering of whether to get a nice 26er hardtail or an entry level 29er...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not much around >25mm

You might be hard pressed to find a 'race' tyre bigger than 25, although I think conti ultra gatorskins go up to 32.
For 'not quite race but still fairly quick' in bigger sizes try schwalbe Marathon Racer (700c x30 & up) or Conti Sport Contact (700c x 32 and up). I run conti sport contacts in 37mm on my commuter pig (see gratuitous pic) and they're damn nice. No problems staying in the morning bunch, plenty of cush for cracked and rutted pavement and good puncture protection.
At the risk of stating the obvious you might want to check that your road frame has clearance for bigger tyres - neither of my race bikes will take a 28 (not enough brake bridge clearance).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, same Cloxxki as MTBR.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The Roubaix thing may be something to explore. Maybe one spendy day I'll get Dugast to brew me something special, a fat aphalt miracle.

My frame is a "Fatties Fit Fine" Surly Pacer. Bulky steel, just the way I like it. Unfortunately I always buy road and CX frames one or two sizes too big.
As I said, I've had 28mm Tufo's in it already.
The 28mm Panaracer I run up front now looks just like a 23 to me, although it does feel decently cushy.

Yeah, I had Sport Contacts on a Surly Cross-Check once, and they were great, in a striaght line. In the wet and though corners, I was no too sure with them.

I may order one each of sevaral choices to try them out front and rear.

Happy riding,

J

1,130 Posts
Maxxis Re-Fuse and Forte

I had some 25 Maxxis Re-Fuse tires that worked very well for me -- I consider those excellent tires. Long-lasting, too.

Currently riding on Forte (that is, Performance house label) 28s. These are fine tires.

They run slightly narrower than the stated 28 size (at least the pair I have). Good grip, nice ride.

I haven't had the Forte 28s long enough (about 1,000 miles) to know about durablity in the long run.

I'd recommend them as well.

I'm definitely not going back to 23s. Of the two sizes, I prefer 28s over 25s.

I predict you'll start to see more tires in those sizes coming on the market.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I suggest a Michelin Krylion 25 or a Ruffy Tuffy 28.

The Michelin Krylion are the new version of the Michelin Carbons, fast and reliabe. The 25s are pretty fat, smooth, and fast. Pretty durable as well.

If you're set on a tire bigger than a 25, I would suggets the Ruffy Tuffy, which is a skinny 28cc. (Remember that acrual tire widths vary. For example, Paselas run skinny and Michelins run fat.) The Ruffy Tuffy is pretty fast and you can run it at a lower psi. It is the more reliable and durable tire I've ever ridden. I have over 5,000 miles on one pair and they are still going stong. They flatted only twice due to industrial staples in the road. Speed loss, as compared to a 23 is miminal. A bit pricey at $45 a pop, but well worth it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I had Ruffy Tuffy's, but don't remember them to be as durable or exceptionally fast. Perhaps they need a second chance from me, but when going to something non-race oriented, it might as well be really big.

Anyone have experience with Bontrager Race Lites? They list a 28mm @ 245g, so it might be a pretty racey tire without all those puncture guards and thick layers of rubber.
It's their simplest race tire, though

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Oh I had Ruffy Tuffy's, but don't remember them to be as durable or exceptionally fast.
Maybe I'm just exceptionally fast. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.