Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. new to this forum. I'm looking for a road bike, but I weigh about 280 lbs. Everything I've found so far looks way to flimsy for a man of my stature. I'm wanting to purchase the frame, new or used, and build it up. Possibly a fix gear but haven't decided yet. I'll mostly be using it for commuting but would like to venture into road biking eventually, So I want something thats versatile, not just a commute bike. I'm open to buying a complete bike, but I'm on a relatively low budget, <=$600, And I want to make sure all the components on it can take a beating from a big guy and that I won't have to replace them a few months down the road. So if someone could suggest some beefy frames and wheels or complete bikes that would be awesome. Thanks!

Sorry about the long post... wanted to be thorough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would start your serch with Ti frames but your going to haveto duble your budjet. also why a fix gear? they are good as a training tool for those who want to improve their pedaling and for track racing but other than that you just look like some hipster wantnabe idiot. bikesdirect has some decent Ti bikes also you could look for cross bikes as well they are genaraly over built to take the abuse of cx racing and quite a few come with eyelets for fenders and rear rack for comuting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one of the reasons I got into biking was to help get in shape and thought a fix gear would help. The Ti bikes seem out of reach at the moment, unless I could find a used one for cheaper. I've got an 87 Canondale but the bottom tube is bent from a wreck and was considered dangerous by my LBS... would it be worth making ridable again until I loose some weight and then buy a new bike and not have to worry about it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
personaly i would not recemend a fixed gear because i think it will make it harder and there fore less likely to ride. the hole reason for gearing is to make it easyer for you to ride. so you will end up going for longer harder rides and end up getting better work outs. I would try some of the online retailers for a good deal on a bike or a local bike shop that has used bikes. I bought an old renolds luged steal frame from a place in Oxford for about $50. by the time i fixed it up and had it ridable it was about $400 but that was because i built my own wheels and did all of the work on the frame myself.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
If I were in your position, I'd be looking for a seventies Schwinn Super Sport or Sports Tourer on craigslist or eBay. These models have fillet brazed straight gauge (non-butted) chromoly frames that are all but bomb-proof, yet they're reasonably light. They can be upgraded with modern components.

As others have said, I'd avoid a fixed gear bike to start with. If you have any hills where you live, a fixed gear or single speed bike will be a problem for you at your current weight.

I'd also suggest 36 spoke 3-cross laced wheels on whatever bike you decide to buy since lower spoke count wheels will not be as sturdy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Given your weight and desire for versatility, you should consider a cyclocross oriented model. Think of a 'cross bike as a road bike on steroids. Generally, a CX bike will also be lighter and more efficient than a MTB.

A 'cross model will have stronger brakes and clearance for wider tires (generally up to around 38 mm). Two big pluses for big guys! Those wider tires will help prevent frequent flats while also protecting the rims. As you shed off the pounds, retrofitting thinner 700c tires wouldn't be a problem.

As Andrea said, search Craigslist plus eBay as well. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a model that meets your budget requirements. As a tip, I would suggest a steel frame over aluminum for enhanced fatigue resistance over the long-haul. Surly makes a very popular model called the Cross-Check that is tough and economical:
http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck.html

Good luck!

-Paul

·
Number10
480 Posts
japanoak said:
Hello. new to this forum. I'm looking for a road bike, but I weigh about 280 lbs. Everything I've found so far looks way to flimsy for a man of my stature. I'm wanting to purchase the frame, new or used, and build it up. Possibly a fix gear but haven't decided yet. I'll mostly be using it for commuting but would like to venture into road biking eventually, So I want something thats versatile, not just a commute bike. I'm open to buying a complete bike, but I'm on a relatively low budget, <=$600, And I want to make sure all the components on it can take a beating from a big guy and that I won't have to replace them a few months down the road. So if someone could suggest some beefy frames and wheels or complete bikes that would be awesome. Thanks!

Depending on how hilly your course will be I wouldn't discount a Fixed/SS bike. I have one, it is straight gauge CRMO and I use it for my daily commute to work. The course I ride has some hills and takes me about 40mins to finish so it's a good heart starter first thing in the morning. The bike cost me $400 Aussie and is bomb proof. The beauty about no gears is the ease of maintenance. Again it all depends on your fitness and course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I ride a mtn bike daily and usually keep it in the higher gears. I think i saw a 70's Schwinn on craiglist a week or two ago, i'll see if its still around. I've already lost 30 pounds and am well on my way. I've ridden my roommates fixies and found it pretty fun, I do live in a hilly area though... I like the look of the Surly, You think it will be beefy enough?

update... found that shwinn its a '78 Voyaguer 11.8, not the model you had mentioned...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently weigh 285lbs and ride a 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, I've lost about 40 lbs on it so far, been holding up well, EXCEPT, for the wheels, they Suck. Velocity Deep V's fixed that though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
japanoak said:

Check ads an craigslist in your area and ebay, you'll often find some good deals.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Well I started a year ago at 285lbs. Now I am at 240LBS. About 6 mos ago, I bought a Cannondale Synapse 6. 56cm all Tiagra. Nice bike, relaxed geometry. Cost 1100.00 new. I started on an older carbon bike that I was advised to move away from due to my size and the age of the bike. 20years old. Bought the Cdale and rode it for around 300miles. Not very many miles. I recently upgraded again to a Cervelo S1 so I am selling the Cdale. It is in perfect shape and I will make you a sweet deal if you are interested. PM me and let me know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
second the surly... it'll be bombproof... the rest will depend on the components, with the wheels being the most important... try to get some conservative wheels, 32 hole... and try to go the ebay/craigslist route... make sure you get fitted for a bike at a shop, but then try to find the right size on-line.. you'll save a ton and its well worth it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are there any big guys that ride Surly out there? Like to hear your views on it. Tomorrow i'm gonna swing by a shop that carry's used bikes and parts to see if they got anything. I'm really wanting to build my own legit bike. I built a cruiser a couple years ago and thats what got me into biking. Thanks everyone for your responses!!!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Andrea138 said:
The cockroaches that survive the next nuclear blast will make their homes inside Surly crosschecks...

In other words, yes :D
+ a zillion on the surly.

I had their 1x1 mtb and it was insanely strong. Rode it when i weighed 260... of course I also rode an 18 pound Klein q-pro at the time as well.

One piece of advice from a former big guy... whatever you get, make sure the shop does not cut the steerer tube until you actually climb on the thing and ride it a little- my klein had a pre-cut steerer and that placed my handlebars below saddle height, which caused some unfortunate gut/quad bumpage at times and some really uncomfortable diaphragm compression. Flipping the stem helped, but not cutting the steerer would have helped more.

As you lose weight and the gut goes away, cut the steerer shorter, but until then leave it as long as you can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last May after a year of radiation treatment for Prostate Cancer I weighed 320 lbs. I started riding a GT Comfort bike and lost a few pounds, then in August I bought a 95' Trek Sport 370 for $100, I rode it for about 350 miles until I found a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro with full Dura Ace and Rolf Vector Pro wheels for $500... I have since put over 1100 miles on it and average between 100 and 150 miles a week. I am down 42 lbs and feeling great
! The Klein is a great big guy bike!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm your size, and the only reason I don't ride a Surly is I'm a bike nerd that bought the next 'higher up' bike, a Gunnar Crosshairs. Surlys, in general, are the most globally clydesdale-friendly brand. You couldn't go wrong with the crosscheck - lots of big dudes here even put fat knobby tires on them and take them mountain biking with 2-3' jumps!

The only thing to consider with Surly is the somewhat short head tube they run. Ride around a while before you cut the steerer tube down. You can't really un-do that without buying a new fork or getting custom welding.

Also, 'less than $600' and 'durable enough for a clyde long-term' is tough. Just buy your $600-ish setup, but realize that you'll eventually need better wheels (they're always the weak link in bikes for clydes). Bicyclewheelwarehouse has these - Mavic 319 rims, 32-spoke, 3-cross, Ultegra hubs - for less than $200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts