Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Guys,

I am on a quest to reduce mass. (That's right, I am f'n fat). I am looking at a bike like the redline 925. But I am planning on a retrofit. I would like to do a drop bars instead of the MOUSTACHE TYPE and replace the crank with 172.5. I like the flip/flop versatility. What other frames out there come with full fender mounts/rack mounts, fwd/aft brake, and a track syle rear end?

any thoughts /suggestions?

Thanks

Kforum

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Two ideas

kroettger1 said:
What other frames out there come with full fender mounts/rack mounts, fwd/aft brake, and a track syle rear end?
The Bianchi San Jose has what you're looking for, but no flipflop - it's a freewheel-only hub. That's not expensive to "fix," however.

The Surly Crosscheck has plentiful eyelets and offers lots of build options, but that's because you have to choose all the parts. It could, however, also become your next cyclocross bike, or 29er, or touring bike, or road bike, either fixed, single, or geared, running whatever size tires you like. The $400 frame turns out to be a pretty good deal for what is essentially six bikes!

I think the Bianchi is about $550 complete. Both are worth considering, but neither can beat the rock-bottom price of the Redline.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advise:

What about On*One "Pamino" frame? This has full brake routings, water bottles mounts, rack mounts, good geomtry . . . .

The brakes for this frame are "V"'s or Canti's. Do V brakes work well with the right road bike levers, good modulation & stopping power?

How about crank arm size. I prefer a 172. 5 arms, and reason why I go short for fixed gear operation????

Thanks for all of your advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
216 Posts
I have never ridden or even seen on On One, but I hear a lot of good things here on the forums.

The brakes should work fine for you.

When riding fixed you need to be aware of taking turns because of pedal strike (when you lean into a turn and your pedal hits the ground). Depending on fast you are going and your bike handling skills a pedal strike might cause your heart rate to rise or it can put you on the ground. The shorter the crank arms the tighter of turn you can take.

Some people can notice the difference between crank lenghts. My road bike has 172.5 and my Pista has 170 and I can't tell a difference. YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.