Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a fathers day ride this year. It's about 80 miles. What do you think about this route.


The background in short goes like this. Back in May of 1988 my Father dies of cancer. So for Fathers day I decided to ride 100 miles. I grew up on a farm in Excelsior Springs Missouri before moving to Kansas City my residence at that time. So I came up with a route to the old farm. It ended up being over 100 miles, maybe 112. I've decided to bring it back. I want people to come along, so I've trimmed the route down to 78 - 80 miles. I was riding south before going north a bit to make it 100+, but not a lot of people want to ride 100+ miles . . . but usually I can talk them into 78 - 80 miles. . . . and I took 33 to 69.

Some concerns people have is the route back down 210. The shoulder is about 6 feet wide. It's very wide. In fact so wide KCBC used to have a monthly time trial on it back in the mid 80's to the early 90's.

Any opinons?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
I'd keep it a century and make sure there are enough quick stops for snacks. I saw a forest icon on the map. What about a midway lunch stop at a park, etc. where a few SOs could go ahead of time and grill or something. My fiance would help, I'm sure. I have never ridden that far north so I can't comment on the route. You could always make an alternative century loop like they do for the MS150 and a shorter route for others. If it was on the Sat before, I could do it.
Dave
Olathe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmar836 said:
I'd keep it a century and make sure there are enough quick stops for snacks. I saw a forest icon on the map. What about a midway lunch stop at a park, etc. where a few SOs could go ahead of time and grill or something. My fiance would help, I'm sure. I have never ridden that far north so I can't comment on the route. You could always make an alternative century loop like they do for the MS150 and a shorter route for others. If it was on the Sat before, I could do it.
Dave
Olathe
It could be made a century easy. One way would be to include "Wolf Hollow", and Reynolds road off O highway. I was wanting to keep it 100, and that was the point back then, but I was hoping to get people to come along. I don't know anybody who wants to ride a self-supported century. I could probably get it done 5-1/2- 6 hours, but adding another 20 might drag it out all day is people get tired or whatever. I guess I can plan the lap, and when we get there, see how we feel. I just don't want to finish the last 20 miles of the ride going 12 Mph waiting for others

I think it might have to be on Saturday because I want to meet at Benetti's Coffee shop because it's about 1 mile from where I orginally started, and it a good place together before a ride.

There is a big park about 1/2 way in Excelsior Springs. and a place to eat in Orick.

Yea, It's way out there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmar836 said:
Depends on the riders you are attracting. Not too many centuries are family oriented rides..... other than the MS.
I'm not really targeting any specific demographic for this ride. I'm going to ride 80 miles, and your all invited to come along, but at the same time I want to average around 17-18 Mph. If I was in shape I'd like to average 20+Mph. So as for a "Family Ride", not so much. Casey's, 7-11, QT, or whatever we find are going to be our SAGS.

Come along . . . . It will be like old times, or since I don't know you it will just be times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dmar836 said:
Bummer. That's the Kansas 70.3 race day.
I don't have a lot of day off these day, so I sneak them in when I can.

I'm going to plan a Halloween Night ride leaving Lee's Summit and going to Gunn City. I'm naming it the Bloody Bonds Ride.

http://www.casscounty.com/gunncity.htm
Gunn City has already passed into fame as one of the historic towns of Missouri, as the theatre of one of the most bloody tragedies that has been recorded in western annals. It is located twelve miles east of Harrisonville, on the Arizona Division of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and contains about 175 people. The location is a good one, on the prairie, and in the midst of a fine farming country. The town was laid out May 9, 1872 by Levens and Bunce.

THE BLOODY BONDS

The "Bloody Bonds" so called, because they gave rise to the Gunn City tragedy. In the tragedy J. C. Stephenson, chairman of the county court; J. P. Cline, attorney for the Railroad Company and T. E. Dutroe were killed by a body of fifty men. They stopped the eastbound train on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, at Gunn City on the evening of 24 April 1872. When the train stopped Cline drew a revolver and fired several shots into the crowd, wounding two men. Then jumping from the cars, he attempted to escape but fell. Three bullets pierced him, one passing through the head. Stephenson was killed in the baggage car. A shot severed both jugular veins and a blow from some sharp instrument split his skull nearly to the eyebrow. He died immediately. Dutroe was shot in the back of the head, the ball lodging over the left eye. He died in about four hours.

The order issuing the "Bloody Bonds" was made on the first day of March, 1872, contrary to the will of the people. Respectful petition, remonstrance and injunction were treated with contempt by the court. When forbearance had ceased to be a virtue, the blood of these men was shed to avenge the wrongs of an oppressed people. This showed the fearful consequences of persistent oppression until men are driven to desperation.
I know what your thinking, and Halloween will get here faster than you think.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Interesting... I have no clue what to expect or tell the wife for that there ride, my friend. However with my limited riding as of late sounds more inviting then a century for sure. What bike would you suggest bringing... the single speed behemouth, the plastic speed demon, the mtn bike????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
funknuggets said:
Interesting... I have no clue what to expect or tell the wife for that there ride, my friend. However with my limited riding as of late sounds more inviting then a century for sure. What bike would you suggest bringing... the single speed behemouth, the plastic speed demon, the mtn bike????
Some might be riding fixed gears, I'm riding a 3 speed (It's a fixed/single speed set up with a 3 speed hub) 28c tires.

It'll be bump and go. It we see something of interst we will stop. One stop will be for food. Probably Pizza and beer or two at grinders in crossroads. It will be a tour of down town to see things you can't see while driving a car.

It'll be fun. Lots of sites. sometime doing group rides that end being races can get old. I hope this ride will rejuvinate the cycling senses . . . rediscover the reason you fell in love with cycling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Banzai said:
Where can i meet up with you guys downtown? i live in midtown.
Give me a call and I'll tell you where we're at. We are going to leave Rayberry (Raytown), then head downtown and one of the first places we will ride through is 18 & Vine aka the Jazz district
http://www.americanjazzmuseum.com/


Look like the rhythm and ribs festival is going on. I don't see us spending a lot of time here, but we will look to see whats going on.
http://www.kcrhythmandribs.com/2008/index.html

Then we will head towards river market and maybe cross roads. I want to have some Pizza for lunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)


We are not going to make too many stops. The route is around 35 miles. However I'd like to make a stop about 1/2 way on Strawberry hill for slavic deserts and tea.

Strawberry Hill is a Kansas City, Kansas neighborhood. It is a mainly South Slavic community that was established in the late 1800s on the bluffs overlooking the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers. Immigrants from Croatia and Slovenia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, found a home along the river's hillside and built a community where people could worship, celebrate and prosper while maintaining their distinct Slavic heritage.

https://www.heritageleaguekc.org/strawberryhill/tea.html

I don't know much about immigrants from Croatia and Slovenia . . . more important their food . . . I love food . . . anyway I hope it's a 3 hour tour at the most.

Oh Yea that looks like Wornall on the way back. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be the trolly trail. The trolly trail ends in Swope Park, and from there back to the coffee shop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here's a good look at the ride.



. . . . Naaa Just kidding

It was more like this.


It was Ok once we got out of town. We lost a couple here. Not these guys though. Some didn't want to take the 2x4 bridge and opted instead to ride around Arrowhead stadium and meet us on the other side.

they were going to catch up with us in the Jazz Dist, but they turned around once it start raining. :confused:

So we encounted a few obsticles on the way out? :rolleyes:


We ending up having a couple beers and Pizza at Grinders while it rained. :thumbsup:
https://www.myspace.com/grinderskc

It didn't too long. We were able to complete the route . . . however the museum wasn't open. I guess that will have to wait for another day.:cryin:

Instead of posting all my pictures here, I'm going to post them on my BLOG.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Yeah, that was a freaking disaster.

We got abysmally lost, and ended up at the corner of 39th and Main and just gave up. We saw a lot of questionable neighborhood, and saw a man walking meet God. Not in a death kind of way... but when it starting pouring on us, some chick on a downhill tried to stop her dodge ram and it slid right through an intersection and ended up about a foot in front of a man walking across. Funny thing was the man didnt even flinch... it was quite impressive ninja skills on his part.

As for the boy scout preparedness test... we didnt have a map OR compass so we miserably failed. Ive had one too many river crossings with my bike over my head. I realize this is not really any different... but I also didnt expect the stadium to be torn to shreds either. We had to go all the way around, cyclocross our bikes up to the outer road to even get around.

I almost wish you guys would have let me get my other bike... it had gears and two sets of brakes (my frankenbike only had old single pull front brake...ex: no wet stopping power). I hadnt seen Dogger in a while, and curbdestroyer... I've ridden with you before, albeit a few years ago. Good group of guys... all ex billy goats?

One more thing... one of the strangest things ever yelled out of a car window at us. I mean Ive heard... go lance, ***, get off the f*cking road, go go go, etc etc... but today... after we had long since missed our turn... there was a flatbed truck with a bunch of crap in the back. On which two ... rednecky type dudes in t shirts were sitting. They yelled out of the window as they were passing "The ALIENS are invading". He said it twice so Im quite sure Im not mistaken. Is he talking about mexicans?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
funknuggets said:
Yeah, that was a freaking disaster.

We got abysmally lost, and ended up at the corner of 39th and Main and just gave up. We saw a lot of questionable neighborhood, and saw a man walking meet God. Not in a death kind of way... but when it starting pouring on us, some chick on a downhill tried to stop her dodge ram and it slid right through an intersection and ended up about a foot in front of a man walking across. Funny thing was the man didnt even flinch... it was quite impressive ninja skills on his part.

As for the boy scout preparedness test... we didnt have a map OR compass so we miserably failed. Ive had one too many river crossings with my bike over my head. I realize this is not really any different... but I also didnt expect the stadium to be torn to shreds either. We had to go all the way around, cyclocross our bikes up to the outer road to even get around.

I almost wish you guys would have let me get my other bike... it had gears and two sets of brakes (my frankenbike only had old single pull front brake...ex: no wet stopping power). I hadnt seen Dogger in a while, and curbdestroyer... I've ridden with you before, albeit a few years ago. Good group of guys... all ex billy goats?

One more thing... one of the strangest things ever yelled out of a car window at us. I mean Ive heard... go lance, ***, get off the f*cking road, go go go, etc etc... but today... after we had long since missed our turn... there was a flatbed truck with a bunch of crap in the back. On which two ... rednecky type dudes in t shirts were sitting. They yelled out of the window as they were passing "The ALIENS are invading". He said it twice so Im quite sure Im not mistaken. Is he talking about mexicans?
Yep . . . too bad you guys got lost. I thought "Dogger" got it straighten out. We ended up at Grinders eating pizza . . . it was pretty good I might add . . . while it rained wondering if we were going to have to hang up the spurs for the day. Then it cleared off and it was a great ride after that.

I think the next ride will be in another 2 months, next month I'm going to some race with "Dogger" in Jeff City I think.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top