Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had told our 14 year old daughter that she could travel solo this summer to visit some of her friends in the city she where she was born. My wife undertook the scheduling with the other kid's moms. My wife sent me an email today saying the the best dates are June 15-21 and that she was holding plane tickets. She asked if this was ok with me. I emailed back saying that it would be nice if my only child was home on Father's day. The response I got was that she mistakenly thought Father's Day was June 12 and that we can discuss it tonight. There are no other dates this summer that all of my daughter's close friends will be there together.

Do I make a big deal out of it or do I just play the good dad and let her go? I know one of the first things that will be said is that "you are just going to go on a bike ride anyway". That is true, but only for the morning.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
Let her go, and officially move father's day in your house to the weekend before or after.

It's just a random date anyway, so there's no reason it can't be shifted. A birthday would be a bit different.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Let her go. Y'all can have dinner and make it special any night of the week. It'll make your future Fathers Days more enjoyable when her most upfront memory of Fathers Day isn't "that time Dad didn't let me do what they promised me I could do." The Fathers Day Dinner probably wouldn't be to fun anyways if you make her stay.

joe

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Ask yourself this - 'What's more important? Allowing my daughter to explore her independence, and showing her that we trust her.
or
Demanding that my family observes a Hallmark holiday because that's the date that was designated to observe Filial Piety.

IMO, You're getting your boxers in a twist over a very minor 'holiday'.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
honestly, as a dad, it's not that important- it is just a date.

besides, with the kiddo out of town, doesnt that leave more room for "adult" time?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
honestly, as a dad, it's not that important- it is just a date.

besides, with the kiddo out of town, doesnt that leave more room for "adult" time?
"Daddy time."

(I just threw up in my mouth a little)

joe

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
How important is that particular holiday to you?

What traditions do you and your daughter share on that day?

Which of these traditions can't be moved?

Len

Reactions: Mr. Jones

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Let her go. Then you and the wife will have some private time to make her a new brother or sister. Then you can have TWO kids around on Father's day!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our tradition is to have my wife's dad, mother and brother over for father's day. They will spend the day telling me how Obama is a communist and the antichrist (I am the only one that voted for him). I use my daughter as an island to get away. Without her there I will left to fend for myself. I will just have to watch Fox News for the week beforehand so I will know what they will be complaining about.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let her go, and officially move father's day in your house to the weekend before or after.

It's just a random date anyway, so there's no reason it can't be shifted. A birthday would be a bit different.
She is already going to miss my birthday because of dance camp. She has missed the last three and will probably miss the next four.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Our tradition is to have my wife's dad, mother and brother over for father's day. They will spend the day telling me how Obama is a communist and the antichrist (I am the only one that voted for him). I use my daughter as an island to get away. Without her there I will left to fend for myself. I will just have to watch Fox News for the week beforehand so I will know what they will be complaining about.
Move it to the week before or week after.

Len

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

I've found that being a parent is about being selfless. You're not important, they are. Who cares about a another birthday or a silly father's day? It's just some dumbass thing made up by the flower and candy industry that gave us mother's day. Enjoy the time you have with them, don't force it. How happy is your daughter going to be being home with you knowing she's missing a trip that's important to her?

Use the day as an opportunity for your in-laws to talk some political sense to you.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Every eveing I get home from work and when my girls hear my voice they come running and give me a huge hug.

Everyday is Fathers Day to me.

I say let her go.

·
Upgraded n00b
123 Posts
I wouldn't worry about. Try having a job where you work Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, and all that. It's just a day. I just use it as my 1 of 2 'lazy days' in the year where I don't cook, clean, laundry or any of that. It seriously is just a day. Hell I'm working tomorrow and it's my daughter's bday. What can I do about it. I'll be at work before she wakes up and home the day after. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I vote to let her go. Oh, and work on your debating skills if you have to resort to using her as a shield from critisim from family members on that day. Sheesh. :mad2:

On a semi-related thought....she's 14. What are are going to do in a few years when all you get for Father's Day is a card and a phone call?

Every eveing I get home from work and when my girls hear my voice they come running and give me a huge hug.

Everyday is Fathers Day to me.
^^^This!^^^

1 - 20 of 35 Posts