Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Undies Jr. the younger off to band camp for a week, Undies Jr. the older and I decided to do a longer spin on Sunday. We rode about 35 miles (I'm guessing, the battery in my computer died), crossing the Willamette River on the Buena Vista Ferry and picnicking at Ankeny Wildlife Refuge.

Right away heading out of town through North Albany, Jr. seemed determined to keep me in his draft. We were riding into a steady 8-10mph breeze from the north, but he was quite a trooper about mashing into it. The distant orange jersey would become a familiar sight for me.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We took a water break on a bridge overlooking some small river (the name of which escapes me) before the push up the final (well, only) hill into Buena Vista. Jr. lead up the climb for a while but he got sucked in by a false summit, and it was me waiting for him at the top :p

Next it was an easy coast downhill to Buena Vista. We just made it to the ferry before the ramp came up. During the brief crossing we chatted with a 'bent rider who was looping down from Salem. He grumbled about having to ride into the wind on the way home. "That's why you check the wind direction *before* you start your ride moreon!" I replied, and then Undies Jr. pushed him into the river. Silly bent riders.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I planned this ride, a picnic lunch at the Ankeny Wildlife Refuge viewing platform seemed like a good idea. Benches, shade, nice scenery, and views of wildlife. What could be wrong?

The wildlife, it turns out. The refuge is primarily a bird sanctuary, and the birds are getting our money's worth out of the place. They have adopted the viewing platform as their official lavatory, evidenced by the unappetizing layer of bird poop all over everything.

Undies Jr. contemplates what he just sat in while attempting to keep his turkey sandwich down.

I found a sticky clump of guano to hold my Canonet steady for a self portrait.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We backtracked our route back across the Buena Vista Ferry and then south to Albany with nice following wind.

The wind seemed to be following Jr. better than me because this was just about the closest I ever got to him on the ride home. In this picture he is slowing down to make sure I have not yet died.

Back home we enjoyed post-ride killer nachos!

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MB1 said:
So I'm guessing we shouldn't be asking you to be the Moderator for the new RBR Recumbent forum?!?
I keeed :D Too much time in the Lounge.

Actually the guy was really nice, of course. He had just ridden the Strawberry Century out of Lebanon the day before. Undies Jr. and I had been planning to do the Strawberry Cent. but we were overridden by other family plans.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Your son is a spitting image of you. That's great!

I've got to get up into Oregon sometime soon. My wife has been bugging me about it and my best friend just moved to Portland and has relatives in the Columbia River Valley. The riding looks great.

As for your picnic spot, that was for the birds!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
'Bent riders must die!

Oh wait, that's probably going to be my next bike.

Nice report and nice way to spend father's day.

How did your Canonet get dust on its sensor?

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridgetop said:
Your son is a spitting image of you. That's great!
I know, right? The ladies won't leave him alone. I was just glad to get a whole afternoon with him.

I've got to get up into Oregon sometime soon.
If you come up I may be able to provide hints. Lots of great opportunities in the Cascades, on the coast, the Columbia Gorge, etc.

Most of the ride we did this weekend is along the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DrRoebuck said:
How did your Canonet get dust on its sensor?
That's a funny story in a "not really" kind of way. A few weeks ago I was doing a ride and had the Canonet strapped around my neck for action shots. Here's one that isn't very good.

At one point I got careless and the camera banged against my stem. This put a little dust-sized nick on the UV filter. As you know, this is exactly why you always use a filter.

Alas, the only thing rarer than a Canonet is a filter for a Canonet. The QL17 GIII uses an obscure 48mm filter thread that nobody makes anymore. I have a replacement coming from ebay.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That`s awesome, Undies- sometimes makes me wish I had a Junior. Then again, nieces are pretty handy `cause you can return them to their respective moms when they (or Uncle) gets cranky. Just wondering, did that "really nice" `bent rider make it safely to shore? And did you push his bike off for him too, or did he just have to walk home?

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rodar y rodar said:
Just wondering, did that "really nice" `bent rider make it safely to shore? And did you push his bike off for him too, or did he just have to walk home?
He made it off the ferry just fine and was headed in our same direction. However, no matter how slow I am we all know that bents are always slower.

Seriously, WTF? Has anyone ever seen a recumbent go faster than 8 mph?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Sweet ride and a great weekend for it. I think that creek is either the Luckiamute... or Soap Creek.

I always enjoyed looping from Corvallis to BV, through Salem, around to Independence, to Monmouth for a Burgerville shake then back to Corvallis. Great roads with some short climbs for fun. Haven't been that far south for a while.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
asterisk said:
I always enjoyed looping from Corvallis to BV, through Salem, around to Independence, to Monmouth for a Burgerville shake then back to Corvallis. Great roads with some short climbs for fun. Haven't been that far south for a while.
That sounds nice. How did you get from Monmouth back to Corvallis? A ride along 99W doesn't sound fun to me.

There is no shortage of great riding in that area though. A couple weeks ago I rode through Adair and then out Tampico Road and back through Suver. I wasn't expecting the gravel section on Tampico Rd. but it was smooth and very rideable.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Actually if you do the ride in the reverse order that I listed it's not bad. You hit 99 early and traffic is light and the ferry will be open by the time you get there.

If you are ever in the mood for climbing, Soap Creek off Tampico goes over the saddle, through McDonald. Also a nice route but painful.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
It's been a couple years but I think Soap Creek is all paved but there might be a short gravel/old pavement section before it switches to Sulfur Springs. There are occasionally washouts so it can change. If you approach it from Lewisburg you can climb partway up from the south, check out McDonald then backtrack. MVBC's website isn't working now but they should have a good route sheet that may indicate the road surface better.

There are also some gravel access roads in McDonald Dunn that start at the top that are a fun hike... I don't remember if you can bike on them.

·
793 Posts
undies said:
I'm checking it out on goggle maps right now. What is the road surface on Soap Creek Rd?
Awesome ride report Undies. I ride these roads all the time, and I still marvel at how beautiful some of the photos are. Riding with the son is way cool too. I just got a child stoker kit for our tandem, so I had my two oldest sons out on tandem rides on my birthday (6 days before fathers day).

My 7 year old and I rode out Tampico to Soap Creek and over Lewisburg saddle. The 4 year old and I explored out in EE Wilson.

If you want to head that direction from Monmouth, take Helmich Rd south to past Helmick Park. It dumps you out on 99 about a 1/4 mile north of Suver. The map also shows a Rolling Hills road that connects Helmick to Airlie, but I don't ever recall noticing this road in the 100 times I"ve probably ridden past, so I assume it's gravel.

The stretch of 99 between Suver and Tampico is not too bad to ride since it has a really wide shoulder. If you didn't mind the gravel on Tampico, from Helmich Rd, you could take Airlie road west to Berry Creek Road which turns into Tampico in order to get to Soap Creek.

The road surface on Soap Creek is paved, but it's some very rough chip seal. Soap Creek is an awesome little hilly roller coaster road through a quiet little dead end valley, with a climb up over back side of Lewisburg Saddle at the end. From there, you take Lewisburg Rd back down to 99, then across Pettibone to Independence Highway, and Metge/Gibson Hill back to Albany.

Or the depending on what part of Albany you want to hit, another nice option is to turn off of Lewisburg Rd (before you get to Lewisburg) and take Highland through Crescent Valley to Corvallis, then out 34, to Riverside Dr back to Albany. The couple of miles on 34 really kind of sucks though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.