Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a wise soul to give me the beta on oil level ranges in a Cannondale Fatty X Hewadshok; the nifty 25mm travel version found on slightly older XS 800's. Any info at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...um, didn't think that you were 'supposed to have any air in the system. Air in the system means free play at the end or start of stroke.

air = bad

I replaced mine with a carbon fork and am much happier.
(cant get a replacement shaft in OZ with out spending oo much $)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the issue. An o-ring split, all the oil leaked out, and the damper (and thus rebound) was non-existent. Know I believe the problem is all sorted out.

I am curious about your fork replacement. The Fatty X adds axle-crown height quite a bit beyond most cross forks (I think 420mm versus 390 or so?). Did you find a taller fork, did the headset adapter add height, or did you just let the headtube steepen? Just wondering...:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got an adaptor turned up.

Rather than remove the Cannondale SI cups, used the original bearings top and bottom and had a longish adaptor made to fit the bearing to axle length.

For the top half, I used a tapered plastic ring from a used diacompe headset and had a matching taper alu spacer turned with a flange ( to stop it 'falling' into the head tube)

now run a regular 1 1/8 aheadstem stem.

works well, looks a little odd, but lpane to spray or ano the silver lower spacer.

plus the adaptor has a built in cable stop

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.