Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my imagination, or do the majority of flat tires seem to happen shortly before the big hill on the popular weekend ride?

Here in the Bay Area, there's an awful lot of people on awfully expensive bikes out doing the Portola Valley loop on weekends. And there's always a lot of people who conveniently are fixing a flat shortly before hitting Sand Hill Road's hill or halfway up any of the steady climbs.

Never seems to happen on a downhill.

Anyone wanna own up to having a faux flat?

-glunt bramling

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I prefer faux chain suck--you can fix it sitting down

Just find a rock next to the road and sit and stare at the driveline until the nausea passes....

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
Weirdly, and thankfully, the vast majority of my flats have happened either on the flats or on uphills. What's more a decent percentage of those flats DID happen on the uphills. I've tried to think through why this might happen. And I can't come up with nothin'. A mystery wrapped in an enigma. Seriously folks...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've come up with the idea of automatic tire deflators. You never know when you may need them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Flats seem to always happen on the back tire, and going uphill puts more pressure on the back, especially if you stand to climb. The extra pressure could press the piece of glass you picked up 5 miles back through to the tube.

Just a theory.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Sub said:
I've come up with the idea of automatic tire deflators. You never know when you may need them.
Or a jersey pocket full of tacks. Depending on motivation and morality, you can toss them ahead or behind.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Not just wannabes

Pros used to (and may very well still) create mechanicals and flats at times when they didn't feel 100% or if they felt they've already done their job for the day.
"Ohh damn, just when things were heating up and the fit boys were making the move. Oh well, I'll just coast this one in and call it a training day."
This would happen often in early season races if they pulled a wintertime Ullrich diet.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Cory said:
Just find a rock next to the road and sit and stare at the driveline until the nausea passes....
LMAO....i was just staring at my work while a coworker was talking into one of my ears. thanks to your post, she thinks she's one heck of a funny story teller...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not a flat, but something similar happened to me awhile back. I was going on a ride with a regular riding buddy last year, and as we were leaving the neighborhood, a neighbor of mine was leaving his driveway for a ride. I don't know him very well at all, but we said hi, and he tagged along with us. He looked pretty fit, but I had never ridden with him. We were doing an easy recovery ride, and wanted to keep it conversational, nothing hard. The guy said that was great with him, but kept speeding up every time he was in front. We came to an intersection and had to stop, and I told him we really wanted to take it easier, we had a hard ride the day before, etc. He said fine, no problem, he was just used to riding faster than that, but would slow down. On his next pull he did it again, obviously trying to show off. My friend is a REALLY strong rider (much stronger than me), and finally he had enough of the neighbor. He eased up to the front, and just gradually kept speeding up, to the point that I could barely hold his wheel. A few miles of that, then we hit a hill, and the neighbor started to drop off the back. At the top, I slowed down (near death myself, but not admitting it), to wait for the neighbor. Just as he caught me, he said, "did you hear that?" I didn't hear a thing, but he said, "my bike is making a bad noise, I need to stop and check on it, y'all go ahead without me." I offered to wait, but he insisted on checking his bike out, and that we should leave him. I caught up with my friend, who said, "let me guess, he had a mechanical?" We had the remainder of a nice recovery ride, but the neighbor has studiously ignored me ever since.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mloywhite said:
Not a flat, but something similar happened to me awhile back. I was going on a ride with a regular riding buddy last year, and as we were leaving the neighborhood, a neighbor of mine was leaving his driveway for a ride. I don't know him very well at all, but we said hi, and he tagged along with us. He looked pretty fit, but I had never ridden with him. We were doing an easy recovery ride, and wanted to keep it conversational, nothing hard. The guy said that was great with him, but kept speeding up every time he was in front. We came to an intersection and had to stop, and I told him we really wanted to take it easier, we had a hard ride the day before, etc. He said fine, no problem, he was just used to riding faster than that, but would slow down. On his next pull he did it again, obviously trying to show off. My friend is a REALLY strong rider (much stronger than me), and finally he had enough of the neighbor. He eased up to the front, and just gradually kept speeding up, to the point that I could barely hold his wheel. A few miles of that, then we hit a hill, and the neighbor started to drop off the back. At the top, I slowed down (near death myself, but not admitting it), to wait for the neighbor. Just as he caught me, he said, "did you hear that?" I didn't hear a thing, but he said, "my bike is making a bad noise, I need to stop and check on it, y'all go ahead without me." I offered to wait, but he insisted on checking his bike out, and that we should leave him. I caught up with my friend, who said, "let me guess, he had a mechanical?" We had the remainder of a nice recovery ride, but the neighbor has studiously ignored me ever since.

Ignores you? Weird... if it were me, I'd ask "Did you get that mechanical fixed?" every time I saw him. :p

·
The Gimlet Eye
918 Posts
During my first couple of metrics and centurys I always noticed people on the roadside "working" on their bikes on the big climbs. It never occured to me what was going on until much later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
covenant said:
During my first couple of metrics and centurys I always noticed people on the roadside "working" on their bikes on the big climbs. It never occured to me what was going on until much later.
Brings back memories of being 14years old and the only girl on a school bike ride. I had been so proud of my bike, I had worked for my dad all holidays to earn it. But now I felt so embarrased to have a 'ladies' bike, it was pink to boot. The group had been riding for several weeks already, so I was being dropped and waited for. Finally I succumbed to a mechanical, my gears just weren't working (mostly due to lack of experience I imagine, but definetly alot to wanting to be excused from the bike ride). It ended well though, cute guy dropped back and swapped bikes with me....*sigh* young love.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts