Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
lets_ride said:
Granny Smith. They're pretty much the only apples I buy.
+1. The tartness of the G Smith makes Washington Apples taste like pond water. Jonathan's are the only red I'll eat.

I munch a dozen grannies a week.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the texture of granny smith, and they're near the top of my list, but I like something a little bit sweeter unless I'm baking something. The honeycrisps are just as crispy and a bit sweeter.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Honeycrisps have been spotty here--really good sometimes, but sometimes mealy. When I just want to eat an apple (which I'm doing right now), I'll usually buy Fujis. Granny Smiths for pies, though.
Somebody mentioned Arkansas Black, too. I've only had those a few times, but they were killer. In the fall, an area called Apple Hill east of Sacramento does a big harvest tourist thing and you can sometimes get apples you don't see in stores.
What I don't understand is why anybody anywhere ever buys Red Delicious. Mealy, mushy, bland and disgusting.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Cory said:
What I don't understand is why anybody anywhere ever buys Red Delicious. Mealy, mushy, bland and disgusting.
plus eleventy.

I hear they used to be very good, though, before they were bred to be big, pretty and easy to ship.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I love apple discussions because everyone likes something different. You have the sweet camp, you have the tart camp, and you have the in between camp.

I have the following in my yard and/or my father's yard. Some varieties have been grafted from other people's trees so there may be three different varieties on one tree.

red delicious
yellow delicious
mutsu crispin
granny smith
braeburn
macintosh
haralson
winesap
fuji
grimes golden
arkansas black
stayman

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd say the best apple depends on the season.

Honeycrisps are delicious, but their shelf life is short. Braeburn can be a good pick in the winter but sometimes get mealy. Granny Smiths are usually very consistent but are obviously sour. Golden Delicious are never very good and never very bad. Pink Ladies are good, and Fujis and Galas are OK.

I'd say my favorite is the Cortland, which you can get in the fall, at least in Minnesota. Can be mealy though.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Fuji/Braeburn/Honeycrisp/Stayman/Gala. It's all good. Empire every once-in-a-while. There is an orchard not too far from us that has 1 tree of what they call banana apples. Best I've ever eaten, but very hard to find. They only have them for like 1 week.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I like them on the sweet side and not mealy but have no clue what type that would be. I don't eat enough apples.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Oh yeah, we have dwarf fuji trees next to the driveway. In season, I usually grab one off the tree when I get home from my bike commute. There's something satisfying about eating fruit from your own trees.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My favorite has traditionally been Macoun. We went apple picking this year and one of the varieties available was Cameo. I had never heard of them before, but they were excellent.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts