Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's sacrilege on this board. But for commuting, I prefer to wear baggy shorts w/an internal chamois.

My current baggies are about worn out, so I'm looking for some new ones. My budget is limited (<$40).

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I'm riding with a group where the spandex is "faux pas" i wear my running shorts over the top of my biking shorts. Works well because you still have the padding underneath the shorts. Also with running shorts they are a lot lighter than say basketball shorts or something along those lines.

Just to give you and idea:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-NBM5TS.html

And you can go to like dicks or your local sporting goods store and get something from the clearance section.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
My experience with Baggies with chamois liners is that they're just crappy, ill-fitting bike shorts with a pair of baggies buttoned on top.

Why not just get a decent pair of bike shorts and then wear whatever you want over the top? best of both worlds- you get a pair of decent bike shorts and you can wear a pair of shorts that don't make you look like a total dew-swilling trail-hucking doooshbag

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i just buy the crappy house-brand baggies from pricepoint. but i dont like them. they run a bit large, and the baggy part is SUPER baggy. so much so that i find my self having to adjust the way i get back don in teh saddle after standing/dismounting.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I haven't worn anything but baggies for at least six or eight years. For me, at least, they're no less comfortable than the fairy pants (that's Tinker Belle fairy, not an indication of homophobia), and who wants to see a gray-haired guy in Lycra?
My all-time favorites are an old pair of Cannondales I've had for years, but I don't think they're made anymore. If you shop the sales at REI, you can often find good mountain bike shorts in your price range. Also check here: www.sierratradingpost.com. They have a retail store here in Reno, but the mail order is fast and they're good about returns.
Or wear any old shorts with Andiamos.

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picshooter said:
Zoic. Not sure of the price these days but they have worn well.
The Zoics look pretty nice. I'm in between a M and L. In your experience, do they tend to fit small or big?

http://www.zoic.com/sizechart.html

I've always worn a medium in shorts, but these seem to be sized a bit smaller. I usually wear a 32 waist, occasionally 33. The sizing chart says M goes 30-32, and L goes 33-35.

·
Registered
473 Posts
In that price range, you're probably not going to find much in the way of quality. I have a couple pairs from REI that are very high quality and have certainly held up over a lot of trail (and some road) riding.

That said, after getting my first pair of real road-riding bibs, I definitely won't be wearing the baggy stuff except on my shorter rides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.