Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tires are a constant item for argument, but I would like to get some feedback on what you think is the best tire setup/combination for a new fixie rider? I am running only front break and rely on it only when I can't slow down with skidding. I am looking for durability, and plush if possible. Thanks in advance.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
My favorite for my FG which is a Converted Track Bike with Front Brake is the Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick in 700x23.(120-TPI/220g)
Easy to mount, uniform, nice roll and cornering, and for me has been very durable.
The Rubino Pro (120-TPI/230g) would be my second choice, but I prefer a slick tread.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
My 700x28 Continental Contacts do well front and back.

I can hammer over anything and no flats. The inverted tread also makes it easy to distinguish when you gotta "rotate" due to patches or replace and rotate front to back.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Racing?/Training:
Continental Grand Prix 4000s: 330-TPI/205g
Michelin Pro3Race: 127-TPI/200g
Vittoria Diamante Pro: 220-TPI/195g

Durability/Training:
Michelin Krylion Carbon: 127-TPI/235g
Continental Ultra GatorSkins: 180-TPI/235g

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Continental Gatorskins have worked well for me. Relatively plush ride, grippy when wet and quite durable.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Among the "brakeless" fixie riders around here, the Conti Gatorskin is top of the list for those who can afford them. (We sell a lot of a $15 Cheng Shin 700x23's to those who can't.)

I have the Vredestein Fortezza 160 psi rated handmade on my fixed because, part the first, it's blue and, part the second, Jerry at Performance next door sold them to me dirt cheap.

It rides nice, and is proving very durable.

All that said, my favorite all round tire is the Michelin Krylion Carbon.

·
Registered
521 Posts
filtersweep said:
For fixed--- continental ultra sport.

I don't use them on my road bike.
:thumbsup: although the last set I bought back around december started showing cracks around the sidewall and look down right like dry rot all over. For $15 a tire they sure are grippy and last a while.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I'm not picky about tires. Ive had luck with most tires I've purchased on sale through Nashbar or Performane. What's more important for me is ease of mounting and removal of tire. Performance wise, I can't tell much difference among tires within my ideal price range.

·
Banned
11 Posts
I have the Kenda C2Cs on mine. Seems like they flat on everything. Oh well, they were free.:p

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
25 mm Continental Ultra GatorSkins for the rear tire. I like having a dependable tire back there since bunny hopping a fixie isn't always a safe option, so you tend to hit cracks and potholes more than on a geared bike. All good reasons to go with a 25 mm wide over a 23 mm. The ride is good and traction is better than average.

For front tires, I go for a smooth ride and great traction of Continental Grand Prix 4000. I also like the Grand Prix 4-Season. I still haven't tried their Vectran layered tires, as I haven't run out of spare 4000's yet.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Ruffy Tuffys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts