Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about building a fixed gear bike for awhile, and was wondering what people like on thier bikes.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
sphinks36 said:
I've been thinking about building a fixed gear bike for awhile, and was wondering what people like on thier bikes.

For me: the less the better.

I wouldn't have a brake on there if I weren't such a weenie :p It looks super hot without it.

It looks better though now with bullhorns and a time trial lever. If you're running a brake, I'd probably go for that option

joe

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
These are a few of my favorite things: Brooks B17 saddle, On-One Mungo or Midge bars, MKS GR9 platforms, Euro-Asia cog, silver KMC chain.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Cork tape.

A lot of people on track bikes ride sans tape or cork on their bar, but I prefer having it. It gets cold around these parts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For the track, anything Suntour Superbe Pro. Nicest stuff out there.

For the road, whatever I have laying around, although I definitely went for nicer stuff with my latest. I plan on putting more miles on it than the crit bike. Definitely ALWAYS an American Classic seatpost.

Brooks K.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
The empty

rear deraileur hanger.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Hubs:
Miche: Italian flash with reasonable pricing and cartridge bearings.

Cranks:
Sugino 75s: Stiff as Dura Ace and costs much less, NJS certified, has 144 bcd so it'll work with any modern track chainring. Comes in both black and silver now. Also square taper bottom bracket so you can choose from the loose ball Sugino BB, a cheap cartridge Shimano, or bling Phil Wood-last-bb-you'll-ever-buy.

Cogs:
EAI: made in the US, threads are better than Surly/Soma/whoever budget cogs, strong as Dura Ace, and comes in a wide tooth range.

Favorite Drool Material:
EAI's Track Stuff page... they have a limited dealer network but they import some sweet Japanese Keirin racing stuff.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
A polished beauty!

Erics Eccentric ENO flip-flop hub by White Industries.

·
Registered
656 Posts
A good saddle.
I prefer Fizik Arione but spend the money and get a saddle that works well for you.

·
Registered
841 Posts
sphinks36 said:
Saddle and bars are personal preference things. I don't like riding track bars on the road, as there just aren't many decent hand positions on track bars--no disadvantage on the track, where you stay in the drops, but not what I want on the road. Many folks like bullhorns, but I like road bars--more specifically, deda or ritchey wcs classsic pros. For saddles I'm riding Fizik alliantes on all my bikes these days. The latest retail is scandalous but if you keep your eyes open there are "deals" to be had. For bling: I recently got a set of track wheels with new Record hubs laced to older (but mint) Mavic GL330 rims. Gonna put some bright green Vittoria Evo Pave tubbies on and I'm gonna like it.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
sphinks36 said:
I haven't heard a lot about miche stuff. What do people think of that?
I have a full Miche Primato Piste group on my track bike. The cranks are super stiff, the BB is smooth and has some adjustability in it, and the cog setup works like a charm. I'm 6'5" and 225lbs, so just in general I put some stress on my stuff. Not as pricey as DA or Record, and it looks good. Maybe not as blingy as say an FSA crank, but I like the classic look.

All in all, no issues with the group at all. I'd recommend it to anyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts