Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sports drink do people recommend? There seems to be a wide selection of drinks out there and I'm not sure what to buy. I'd be using the drink for a couple of long XC ski races and then running/biking in the summer. A drink without artificial colors/flavors would be good.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The best sports drink for rides up to 50 miles is called water. Over 70 miles, some sort of food is needed.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Killroy said:
Even for <50 miles, I like Hammer Heed. Hammer makes Perpetum for longer rides.

+100! I'm a Hammer Geek...Perpetuem is short on taste, but strong on delivering as promised. Mix in a little raspberry hammer gel and the taste greatly improves, but it's tolerable plain as well.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i like cytomax.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Cytomax during Ride.
Chocolate Milk for Recovery Drink.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
old school, gatorade lime, deluted.
been using it for years, cheap, seems to work for my needs.

fifty miles is a long way without anything to eat or drink to me.
30 maybe 40.

·
TWD
540 Posts
I like nuun. tastes like watered down gatorade but gives water some effervescence (sp) and electrolytes. Drinking water straight up doesn't sit that well in my stomach

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
give me gatorade powder. I'm old school and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm another happy Gatorade user, on rides/races longer than 60 miles when there might not be a chance to eat a whole lot I'll use 3 scoops of Gatorade and 1 & 1/2 scoops of sugar mixed with Kool-Aid per bottle. I've got my sugar/Kool-Aid/Gatorade mix just right so it's not incredibly sweet and it's almost as potent as the expensive gel packets that upset my stomach. I also bring a bottle of plain water and sip on that.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
H20

MR_GRUMPY said:
The best sports drink for rides up to 50 miles is called water. Over 70 miles, some sort of food is needed.
+1 I find that in hot/humid weather, I need a lot more fluid and electrolytes, but I need the same number of calories. Conversely, in cold/damp weather, my fluid requirements drop significantly, but (no surprise) I STILL need the same number of calories. Thus, I separate fluid/energy needs into water and food. No sticky stuff all over the frame, water I can dump on my head when it's really hot, and the ability to wash my hands after changing a tire or rinse the slime off my hands while in motion. Water is an amazing material :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
+1 and it works fine. If I want something different I'll "splurg" and get some Cliff powder or G2O. If I use a gel I'll get Hammer gel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cytomax for a stronger sweet flavor and Heed for a more subtle flavor. Tried Accelerade and about threw up. that shiz is nasty. But you have to give plain old water it's due, natures best.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts