Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couldn't find many threads on lube...

I'm a pedantic bike cleaner...i wipe it down after every ride, i clean and lube the chain and cassette constantly...and pull the whole bike apart monthly, with the exception of the bottom bracket, which i do about every 2-3 months, and the steerer about every 6 months...

heres what i like to use...it's a nice thin lube that attracts no dust or dirt. No weird additives so it doesn't tack up and go gunky...it just keeps the chain clean, quiet and fast... :thumbsup:

· Registered
433 Posts
I've used Prolink and like it. You can also make a homemade version of it with 3 parts mineral spirits to one part synthetic oil. My current favorite is Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. It sprays on, penetrates the links, then the outside dries to a waxy coating after 20 minutes or so. Maxima Chain Wax is pretty similar. I live on a dusty gravel road so I like lubes that won't attract a lot of dirt.

· Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Finish Line

I like Finish Line Cross Country or Pro Road CR.

They work like a charm. But admittedly they make dirt stick. I clean and relube often and try to keep out of dirt and wet.

These lubes are not inexpensive but can be used very economically - a small drop per link is ample.

I have tried the wax type lubes but they just don't seem to last. And a bottle certainly doesn't go a very long way.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
My home brew is roughly 75% parrafin wax to 25% synthetic oil. I keep it in an old electric fry pan, and heat it up and dunk my chain in it for 15 minutes. It's a nice dry lube, but the oil in it a much more slippery feel than just plain parrafin wax.

· Registered
151 Posts
leviathans_child said:
couldn't find many threads on lube...

I'm a pedantic bike cleaner...i wipe it down after every ride, i clean and lube the chain and cassette constantly...and pull the whole bike apart monthly, with the exception of the bottom bracket, which i do about every 2-3 months, and the steerer about every 6 months...

heres what i like to use...it's a nice thin lube that attracts no dust or dirt. No weird additives so it doesn't tack up and go gunky...it just keeps the chain clean, quiet and fast... :thumbsup:

+++++1

· Registered
203 Posts
I really like Prolink. One of the LBS's around here sells the 16oz bottles for around $20, compared to $7-10 that many places charge for the 4oz bottles. I've tried homebrew, which is good too, but the Prolink just seems a little cleaner and longer-lasting for some reason.

One thing about it though...has anyone else noticed that if you leave it standing around for a while, a milky waxy deposit can build up at the bottom of the bottle? Looks like it might have a bit of wax or Teflon-like stuff in it. I've noticed it because I have a small clear applicator bottle that I use when I buy it in bulk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.