Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently am running a 105 FD on my 50/36 Bontrager compact, and shifting is OK. I'm building up another old frame, and need to acquire a FD for it. Would you recommend just getting a FD for the frame, or going with a compact FD (thinking maybe Campy Centaur) for my current ride (LeMond carbon/steel spine w/clamp on FD)?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not campy...

If you will use shimano shifters, a campy FD doesn't make much sense. Stick with a shimano product. The shifters work quite differently. Shimano uses a single click to quickly release the cable needed to make the big ring to little ring shift, while campy's shifter action is more gentle, using 3 clicks to do the same job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you only need a 'capacity' of 14 teeth with a 50/36 crankset. shimano FDs are designed for this, no probs. they even work ok for most 50/34 cranksets (16t capacity).

the FSA Compact FD is 16t capacity-specific. i doubt it would offer any improvement over your current FD.

though how is the shfiting now?

:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FD is shifting OK now, probably could tweak it.

This is a question about optimizing front shifting. Since I have to get a new FD for either the old frame or move the 105 from my current ride I'm thinking getting a compact-specific FD for the compact crank makes sense (although I'll pay a bit more than for another 105 FD).

I'm currently using 9-spd 105 STI, but just picked up some Centaur 10-spd levers I'll run w/my Ultegra rear via the hubba-something-cable-redirect-conversion w/a 9-spd SRAM cassette.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a new FSA compact FD that I will give you if you come and pick it up. FSA seems to have missed the boat or has a quality control issue with the 10 speed FD. The cage is at least 1 mm wider than my Dura Ace 7700 FD - and that was designed for 9 speed chains. The FSA FD might work for 10 speed chains if it is squeezed but I am not willing to go to that effort when the 7700 FD works fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been using the stock Ultegra 10 speed FD with my FSA compact crankset with no problems. When I had my LBS install the crank, I had ordered the FSA FD and they could not get it to work right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.