Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a fussy question, I see that almost every 585 I look at has a braze on FD with an adapter clamp (mine included). I am about to replace my FD and am deciding between replacing the braze on or changing to a band on. I'd like to hear any pro's/con's people have.
I understand that the main reason as to why distributors fit bikes with the adapters rather than band on is for cost saving and convenience, meaning they can just buy all braze on group sets and fit them to any bike saving inventory cost regarding of braze on/seat tube size on different frames they sell.
I also understand that pro racers use the braze on/adapter setup for ease of changing for the team mechanic also making braze on's the only FD they need on the team bus, regardless of frames.

So question is, as a non-pro rider, do I save the 20 grams and go band on, or just replace the braze on FD and leave the adapter in place? Is there any performance difference/advantage using either?

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, i cant see any advantage in using an adaptor band, u still have to set FD height and cable tension, and it does nt look as neat.
whilst building up my 585 i had a braze on sent (in the group set) and changed it straight away for a band on, so i guess you are not the only fussy LOOK owner :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess one thing that concerns me the slightest bit is that if I remove the adapter band it will leave a mark on the tube that the band on may not cover? I wonder if the band on "dimensions" are the same as adapter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts