Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Campagnolo Record FD sometimes does not return all the way to the low position based on the low limt setting. It is as if the spring is not as strong as it used to be. Cable tension is not a part of the problem.

Do these just wear out over time or is there some lubrication that I could or should be doing.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do clean it when washing the bike but I don't doubt that dirt could be a factor. I was just wondering if I had to pinpoint lube to the linkage points and I am guessing the return travel spring could be stronger. It's an older unit, but it is Campy. thx.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I was just wondering if I had to pinpoint lube to the linkage points
Pinpoint-clean the pivot points with a lube that has lots of solvent in it, like WD-40. The work the derailleur with your hand repeatedly from stop to stop. Wipe off excess lube and re-lube with something other than WD-40 after a day or so.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
Pinpoint-clean the pivot points with a lube that has lots of solvent in it, like WD-40. The work the derailleur with your hand repeatedly from stop to stop. Wipe off excess lube and re-lube with something other than WD-40 after a day or so.
Do this. Also, change your cables if that hasn't been done in awhile. A rough or gunked up cable can cause this problem. Use good quality stainless steel cables, not the cheaper galvanized cables which can oxidize and become rough.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I wouldn't expect the spring to be the problem. Check the bottom bracket guide for gunk or if the cable has popped out. As noted above cable might be worn/frayed - look inside the shifter.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I wouldn't expect the spring to be the problem. Check the bottom bracket guide for gunk or if the cable has popped out. As noted above cable might be worn/frayed - look inside the shifter.
Springs rust. Springs get bent. But springs don't wear out. And the chances that a FD spring got bent are pretty small.

To the OP - follow wim's advice. If the cage is not returning to the limit screw with the cable disconnected, then the FD is most likely dirty and in need of lube. The only other explanation that comes to mind is the possibility that something got bent and is binding.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all. Because the cable goes slack when it it trying to return to the low limit, it has to be dirt. Next wash and some WD40 to the entire spring should do the trick. I believe it has already started returning to normal after some spot cleaning/lube. Because it is the absolute low gear, it doesn't get used that often.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
instead of using regular wd-40, use their silicone lubricant ... in a similar can but with a yellow cap.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
instead of using regular wd-40, use their silicone lubricant ... in a similar can but with a yellow cap.
The idea is to first dissolve any grime. That's why I recommended the regular WD-40 for the cleaning. It has lots of solvent in it, which is why it's such an excellent cleaner. The silicone version may have just as much solvent, but I don't know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts