Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here's the deal. On a spin or stationary bike I have absolutely no problem or fear getting out of the saddle while pedaling.

On my bike, on the road, I'm afraid to. I get out of the saddle while coasting, but I'm afraid that while pedaling I will wobble or lose control. This has now turned into a dependance on coasting to get a break out of the saddle, when really I'd rather be pedaling.

I've gone clipless and really like it, but I think this is related. I feel like my feet, when clipped in, are not in the right position for standing. I feel like if I stood, I'd be off-balance. I love the power and stability gained by being clipped in, it just feels like I'll lose it if I stand up.

Any confidance builders to help me out of the saddle while pedaling?

Honestly I'd love to be able to stand up and power past my husband occasionally, just for the sheer torture value, but every time I'm about to, I just get scared, and stay down.

:eek:

·
Registered
838 Posts
All it takes is practice. I suggest you start by standing while climbing a medium-sloped hill. Put it in a high enough gear so that you don't have to pedal too fast. This normally means about two cogs smaller than you would use on the same hill if sitting. Pedal slowly and in control. Hold the bars at the hoods. Allow the bike to gently rock back and forth a few inches with each stroke. Just like riding a bike.

The clipless pedals should actually help your confidence by freeing you from the worry of your feet slipping off the pedals. But you might have too much or too little float.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I had the opposite problem- I couldn't stand on the stationary bike we got last winter. After 20 years of cycling the lack of side to side motion like on a real bike really felt weird.

The solution was to start off in short bits- stand for a couple pedal strokes then sit back down. Each time I could do it a little longer until I am able to stand as much as I want. It still feels wierd but I no longer feel like I'm going to get ejected over the bars.

When I stand on a real bike the cadence is a little lower. So unless I am standing as I am getting slowed down by a hill, I need to shift up a gear or two to stand.

Try it on a slightly uphill area with a lot of room to either side in case you swerve a bit. It's ok to let the bike rock side to side, just keep the wheel pointing forward.

As far as the foot position, unless you have unusual physiology or you have your cleats in an unusual position, it's just something to get used to.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Loraura said:
OK, so here's the deal. On a spin or stationary bike I have absolutely no problem or fear getting out of the saddle while pedaling.

On my bike, on the road, I'm afraid to. I get out of the saddle while coasting, but I'm afraid that while pedaling I will wobble or lose control. This has now turned into a dependance on coasting to get a break out of the saddle, when really I'd rather be pedaling.

I've gone clipless and really like it, but I think this is related. I feel like my feet, when clipped in, are not in the right position for standing. I feel like if I stood, I'd be off-balance. I love the power and stability gained by being clipped in, it just feels like I'll lose it if I stand up.

Any confidance builders to help me out of the saddle while pedaling?

Honestly I'd love to be able to stand up and power past my husband occasionally, just for the sheer torture value, but every time I'm about to, I just get scared, and stay down.

:eek:
you shouldn't have problems with balance. just grab your brifters by the hoods and stand. You can rock the bike back and forth even without issues. Make sure you're in a high enough gear so you can really push the pedals as you stand.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
It's all in your head. You won't crash. Take your big girl pill and get over it.

You already know you can stand while coasting. Now, stand while coasting and do a half-turn back-pedal, so your other foot is in front now. That's easy, right? Now do it again so your original foot is back in front. Now do one in the other direction. Not so bad. Now again, and repeat. And you're pedaling.

After you get past your fear, you can start learning technique. How to lay down power at high cadences and low, up steep hills and on the flat. How you can put your weight a LOT farther forward than you think you can.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much, guys! I stood up yesterday, AND left hubby in the dust going up a hill, so all missions were accomplished. It was a bit scarey, and more wobbly than I like (spin bike spoiled me on stability while standing) but the power was great, and the thrill of just taking my big girl pill and doing it was even better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
One thing not mentioned by others is that if you truely feel your feet out of position while standing you may enjoy a pedal with more float so you have more room to find the natural position while still remaining clipped in.
Scot

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
The faster you're going...(to a point) will make it easier to stand because your bike will want to stay standing up. Practice in grass so if you biff it you won't get ripped up as bad!

·
Registered
378 Posts
when standing pedaling you need to be in the smaller rear gear than when you are sitting. when standing the cadence comes down and you are doing the stairmaster motion . Naturally, you stand on one foot at a time and the bike needs to be tilted in the opposit direction of the foot you are standing on to support your body's center of gravity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.