by Michael

Price Paid:: $1125.00
Review Date: June 7, 2010
Overall Rating:
5 of 5
Value Rating:
5 of 5

Summary:
Have ridden and /or owned groupsets from all the main players in the last few years, this suits my needs / wants the best.

Shifting is really crisp and direct. Feels solid but smooth once run in. Lever shape is great. Braking from the hoods is the best out there. Hood material is comfy even on long rides.

Cables are quite light and run smoother than the 10 speed versions.

Bottom bracket is smooth as butter. People go on about Red having ceramics but these must be very good steel bearings because you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Derailleurs work flawlessly. FD trim is tops. Shift to the big ring is much improved, not in the league of Dura Ace but better in every other respect.

Chain and cassette work perfectly and will be durable thanks to them being all steel. The 11-23 cassette is surprisingly light too.

Crank set is light and stiff. Assessment of flex is simple... there isn't any.

Brakes are good if they are better than the 10 speed version it would only be because of the better lever shape. There is more purchase than before.

Looks like a supermodel but is much less maintenance.

Strengths:
Great performance for the price. It's 90% of Super Record for half the $$$. Pretty light, 2185 grams on my scale (with 175 CT crank.) Reliable. The more I ride it the better and smoother it seems.

Weaknesses:
Not much. Requires Torx head bits for lots of the set up including levers. Chain tool was hideously expensive but now about 50% of when first released.

Similar Products Used:
Red, Force, Dura-Ace 7900 & 7800, Campag Record and Chorus 10 spd. Truth be told they are all good. I do prefer the new 11spd to all the others but will concede Red is lighter by 200 grams (who cares) but is crude compared to this and Dura Ace has a better big ring shift (everything else though is sub-standard.)

Reviews by community members are the foundation of RoadBikeReview.com. Share your experience with other cyclists by writing reviews for your bikes, gear, and other related accessories. You don't have to be an expert - everyone's opinion counts.

Write A Review >>