by kevin32

MSRP: $265
Review Date: May 24, 2010
Overall Rating:
4 of 5
Value Rating:
4 of 5

Bike Setup:
Look 595 Ultra, Mix of Campy SR and Record 11 parts. Campy Hyperon Ultras.

Used product for
3 months

Summary:
These came on a recent purchase of a compact crankset. I'm using the Aero 52T outer ring and a 36T inner ring. I'm running these on a Look 595 Ultra with full Campy Record 11 speed setup (excluding cranks obviously). For comparison I have a Pinarello Prince with full SR11 setup (Campy 50/34t compact cranks with standard rings) as well.

I'm still testing, but after several long rides (60-80 miles) here is what I've noticed so far. 1) It took almost no time to adjust to the feel of the q-rings and switching between bikes is pretty much effortless. 2) My spinning efficiency is improved on the q-rings, as they simply feel more natural. My cadence did increase a bit and with less effort. 3) My legs were more sore after using at the beginning because I was engaging my hamstrings more, which is where I felt the soreness most. My regular round rings put more emphasis on my quads. However, I starting to find that I'm stronger on my regular rings after riding the q-rings, most likely because my hamstrings are definitely getting stronger from the q-rings. 4) My knees hurt less and I feel less fatigued after long rides. However, this did not happen right away, as you need to finish the break-in period that Rotor describes on their website. 5) Shifting is very good, but definitely a notch down from my full Campy setup. I feel it shifts more like my previous Record 10 group (i.e. less smooth and a bit noisier). I haven't had a single dropped chain after 400 miles. 6) I must admit they look rather cool.

I'm not certain I climb better yet, but will find out after I try the Horrible Hilly 100 next month (200K and 11,000 ft of climbing (18% grades on some parts)). Should be interesting/painfull. I did it last year using Campy Record 10 (compact crank with a 25t on the rear)

Lastly, the inner rings are far less ovalized than the outer, so it's tough to feel the difference between my bikes while climbing. I feel most of the difference when in the big ring. I will try to remember and post how they/I performed.

Strengths:
Better pedal stoke with decreased knee pain. Not sure about the climbing part yet, but I'm smoother and slightly faster on the flats....we'll see. Definitely something that's fun/interesting to try and seems to have some merit.

Weaknesses:
Shifting is slightly worse, but still good. Price isn't terrible either.

Similar Products Used:
Dura-Ace 7800, Campy Record 10, Campy SR 11.

Reviews by community members are the foundation of RoadBikeReview.com. Share your experience with other cyclists by writing reviews for your bikes, gear, and other related accessories. You don't have to be an expert - everyone's opinion counts.

Write A Review >>