Price: $179 MSRP
Overall Rating:
5 of 5
Value Rating:
4 of 5

Favorite Ride:
my ride

Bike Setup:
Center of bottom bracket to top of saddle (following the seat tube): 61.2cm. Distance from tip of saddle to center of bars: 60.5 cm. Saddle drop to center of bars: 11 cm.

Summary:
The Selle Italia SLR is unlike any bicycle saddle that I have ever had before.

After installing the first thing that I noticed was how incredibly stiff it is! The tone produced when tapping on it was reminiscent of a bongo. I immediately had thoughts of turning up at the hippy hill drum circle, having a go at setting the rhythm then getting bored and riding home.

Seriously, this is the most firm saddle that I have ever owned.

Initially, the saddle was uncomfortable. I felt like I was going to slip off the back. Granted, I got this saddle for my commuter bicycle, which not might be the best fit.

After a few days, and a few long rides, I really started to favor the SLR. There is a "sweet spot" for me. You can see it on the saddle. There is a bulge right before where your sit bones would be. I guess this tucks into my physiology down there somehow. Even though it is minimal in appearance, the area towards the nose of the saddle is wide and fitted for climbing.

Aesthetically, the SLR is great and spices up any bike to look like a super racer. Also, it is pretty light. I really can't notice though because I leave the house with full water bottles.

I have been using my ass in padded and unpadded shorts, as well as long pants for years. The SLR was an adjustment in saddle comfort at first, but I got used to it. I even have grown to enjoy its solid performance in the saddle department.

I have heard how some people are fussy about where they put their butts.

If you are not, and you want to join the scores of other riders who like it, I would buy an SLR.

Strengths:
Very stiff. Very light. Aesthetically pleasing (if you are a minimalist).

Weaknesses:
Very stiff.

Similar Products Used:
Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel

Reviews by community members are the foundation of RoadBikeReview.com. Share your experience with other cyclists by writing reviews for your bikes, gear, and other related accessories. You don't have to be an expert - everyone's opinion counts.

Write A Review >>