Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shipped a frame to a fellow I had done business with before via FedEx Home Delivery. He e-mailed me after receiving and unpacking the frame at his home Wednesday, January 11, to say the left seat stay was dented in as if it had taken a significant blow from a heavy object. There was no damage to the 1" foam pipe insulation, but was a small hole in the side of the bike box where the stay would have been located.

I sent an on-line claim to FedEx that evening. The next day, Thursday January 12, I faxed FedEx hard copies of the claim, FedEx shipping pick-up record, proof of value of the frame, and additional shipping information.

Today, Monday January 16, I received an e-mail from FedEx Claim Service indicating they were settling the claim with me for the sale price of the frame and fork, albeit only their actual shipping cost. They don't reimburse for packing time or materials, eBay or PayPal fees, etc.

I am not what they do with the frame since they paid it in full rather than making an adjustment on it. I imagine their letter that is said to be coming with the refund check will explain that.

My experience with FedEx on shipping had been, to this point, perfect. I have never had any of my many shipped frames arrive late or damaged in any way. My opinion of FedEx after this claim is not diminished one bit. Their on-line claim service was easy to follow, their response to the claim was quick, and the settlement was fair.

I understand damage can occur during shipping from any number of sources, which is why I pack the frames I ship as carefully as I do. That said, I am not sure any packing method could ever 100% guarantee no possibliity of damage under any circumstances. All I can do is pack the frames to the best of my ability and expect the shipper to do the best they can to safely deliver them. In the rare occasion they fall short of undamaged delivery, a response such as I received from FedEx on this claim makes the situation almost pleasant, especially in light of the stories I have read about unpaid claims and uncooperative shippers.

I have refunded the buyer his entire purchase price, and am glad to have had this claim go as professionally and quickly as it did. I wish the frame had arrived safely but, since it didn't, the way FedEx dealt with me certainly made the negative situation a positive one in my mind.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I assume this was FedEx Express and not FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground is not run the same way as Express, as they employ local contractors. They lost a package of ours and couldn't seem to find their a$$ with both hands. Never did turn up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was FedEx Home Delivery

handsomerob said:
I assume this was FedEx Express and not FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground is not run the same way as Express, as they employ local contractors. They lost a package of ours and couldn't seem to find their a$$ with both hands. Never did turn up.
I edited my posting to reflect that. I have heard many stories about poor FedEx Home Delivery service, but fortunately that was not the case with my situation.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
"There was no damage to the 1" foam pipe insulation, but was a small hole in the side of the bike box where the stay would have been located."

Dave, I don't think a fork lift would leave a "small" hole and not damage the foam pipe insulation. Hard to say what would have caused the damage. This story reinforces my predisposition to FedEx, Ground or otherwise. We all hear horror stories about claims but this one seems to have gone very smooth and fair. If it's typical of the way FedEx handles claims they'll continue to get my business and probably others.

·
Registered
359 Posts
FedEx has been great to work with for the company that I for too. But yeah, Ground has some growing up to do. That is in the works though according to our FedEx rep. Even with Ground we have noticed quite a bit of improvement.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Frank, it sounds like a forklift hole to me... the blade of the forklift punctured the box.
Most likely not. Forklifts don't move packages at these places. People and converyor belts do. Most likely the frame was stacked improperly. They probably just stacked or dropped a heavy box on it while loading the package into a truck or while unloading it from a truck (grab the middle box from the wall of boxes and run and watch an avalance of packages)...

·
What it is
705 Posts
Similar damage with UPS

Dave Hickey said:
Frank, it sounds like a forklift hole to me... the blade of the forklift punctured the box.
I received a bike (shipped by UPS) with similar damage. The bike was carefully packed but there was a hole through the middle of the box and the steel top tube was partially crushed. It looked like someone had jammed a javelin into the box. I don't know whether it was a forklift or not but there is something that both services are using that produces this type of damage.

Ken

(PS - The UPS adjuster took one look and they paid me the sale value without hassle.)

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
mattv2099 said:
Most likely not. Forklifts don't move packages at these places. People and converyor belts do. Most likely the frame was stacked improperly. They probably just stacked or dropped a heavy box on it while loading the package into a truck or while unloading it from a truck (grab the middle box from the wall of boxes and run and watch an avalance of packages)...
When they increased the weight limit to 150lbs, certain facilities added fork lifts...I have some inside information ;)

·
Tourist
989 Posts
1. what is their fax number ? this is a useful number to keep

2. sounds strange to me that they settled the claim without any problem if the foam insulation was not damaged. They could have said the dent was already there before packing.

3. I've shipped plenty of frames with Fedex. Of which only one was destroyed. The buyer handled the claim, he asked me to tell Fedex to reimburse him directly. Was fine with me since he had paid already. Since he didn't ask me anything later one, I guess he got reimbursed.

4. generally speaking, I prefer Fedex over UPS. Easy to ship 24/7 from Kinko's, at real Fedex locations employees are nicer, and they lose fewer packages. They say they are cheaper, too, but I haven't carefully checked that.

Pierre

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a bike I was receiving damaged by UPS. While the sender got a reasonable and fair amount for the bike it took 6ix weeks and a lot of paper work and and more paper work and following up by the sender. The UPS inspector would call to say he was comming in a day or two and showed up a week later. Luckily, I don't know why, the sender refunded my money within a week and I worked with him to get his money back. Overall I wouldn't say the experience was great. But at least we got our money.

·
Man, I need a shower !
156 Posts
That's good news. I send all of my larger packages via FedEx. Glad to hear they will honor damage claims w/o a lot of hassle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts