Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to previous Look pedals, how are the Keo's working for you? I like the idea of having everything I like about Look pedals remain the same, only at nearly half the weight.

brewster

·
Registered
108 Posts
So far, so good...

I went from early '90's Carbo Pros to Keo Cr-Mos recently. The pedal-shoe connection seems as solid as ever. I have the grey cleats, so there's not as much float as the red ARC cleats. But, I don't seem to need too much float to keep my knees happy. Clipping in is quite easy and quite positive, even at the lowest setting. Just need to find cleat covers for walking stretches...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm maybe not the best person to answer this question, my only previous experience with clipless pedals were SPD's, but the Look's are great. I have the Keo Classics (280g btw) with grey cleats. After the obligatory first fall, I've been fairly solid on them. Easy in, easy out, good power transfer. I do find I get a warm spot after 30-40 miles, but that could be the shoes or technique. And at $90 msrp, you can't beat them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
best pedals I've owned, have used old Looks and Time RXS, Keo are much better, the cleats don't last all that long, but they are inexpensive

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Problem free at about 1600 miles

I have the cro-mo axles with 1600 miles including lots of climbing, slush, snow and rain. So far the only maintenance is cleaning and they run completely quiet. I'm going to buy a second pair (the cheaper classics this time) for my winter bike.

Only negative is that they mark up easily but every other pedal I've owned has also

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was a 15 year Time advocet. Never thought I would change but the older times were heavy and the new stuff is self centering crap. Changed to Keo's and never looked back. So what if you have to change the cleats 2 or 3 times a year. They are only $15. Switched to the grey cleats for just enough float.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like them.
They might be just a little harder to get into quickly...but not by much.
I think it is the lower stack height.
As for use they have been great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Switched to Keo Sprints from old Look Carbon Pros last fall and I love them. I use the gray cleats which give me a perfect amount of float.

About 1500 miles or so on the pedals with no problems to speak of. Haven't noticed much more cleat wear than I experienced with my old pedals.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Went to the Keo Sprints after years on Speedplays...absolutely love them! Make sure you have enough tension so that you don't pull out during the sprint, and I would avoid the Classics because of the exposed spring that doesn't seem to have a lot of tension. The Sprints are only a little bit more anyway...

The only bad thing....make sure you get the cleat covers!!!! Walking in these on wood floors(bike shop), tile floors( convenience store) or wet asphalt is truly risking an embarrassing moment....

The Flash

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
brewster said:
Compared to previous Look pedals, how are the Keo's working for you? I like the idea of having everything I like about Look pedals remain the same, only at nearly half the weight.

brewster
A followup question: Do they hang nose-up, like the Looks of youth? Or is it necessary to flip them with a toe? Not a deal-killer, but it does make life much with one-sided pedals.

·
Registered
482 Posts
danl1 said:
A followup question: Do they hang nose-up, like the Looks of youth?
Yes they hang nose up. But IMO they are just a lil harder to get into than the older models. I think it is due to the smaller stack height of the cleat.
Not a big deal but a little different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
tmac13 said:
best pedals I've owned, have used old Looks and Time RXS, Keo are much better, the cleats don't last all that long, but they are inexpensive

i just got a set off keo classics

love the pedals and the price but this is my first pair of road pedals and shoes ...

how often do you need to change the cleat out any way ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
laotsu42 said:
i just got a set off keo classics

love the pedals and the price but this is my first pair of road pedals and shoes ...

how often do you need to change the cleat out any way ?
I never have. I have had Looks of different models for years & never changed a cleat. Average was 3-5 years per pedal set.
Then again I only put on my shoes & ride. very little walking in them.
I dont stop at stores etc.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got some Keo carbons for Christmas. I was using cheap SPDs and my MTB shoes before that. I think the KEO's are great. They're my first road pedal and I've been really pleased with them.

I do find that the left pedal tends to rotate over, so I need to flip it to get my foot in, but it hasn't been a problem yet. And I've only almost fallen twice because I didn't get out fast enough - but one of those times I was carrying some cones which kind of threw me off balance anyway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Although there is no weight limit to the Keo w/ Ti spindle, how much flex would be noticeable (if any) for 190+ rider?

:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love my Keos...but...this weekend, I flatted in a race on the farthest point of a 6 mile circuit, and I have to walk about 1.5 miles until I found the support car....needless to say...my cleats are destroyed....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wiped out the other day

brewster said:

brewster
and first thing I looked at was my Keo. At ±15mph, the crash involved sliding to the side with the pedal making the first contact with pavement then my body. My pedals took the abuse but I didn't. Pedal came out w/ just a scatch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts