Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have significant time on the 2006 Eurus? I had the older version and loved it (I sold it awhile back). I need a new wheelset (my OP's went to my Cross bike) and they look like they will due the job admirably. I still have a line on the closeout 2005 Eurus's for $499, but for $639, I can get the newer model. Any negatives about the 2006's?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can do a lot better than that on a set of '06 from 11speed.com

I thought about getting them for my next build but decided I needed a set of bomb proof tradition lace up's first.

·
Registered
464 Posts
2006 eurus

dawgcatching said:
Anyone have significant time on the 2006 Eurus? I had the older version and loved it (I sold it awhile back). I need a new wheelset (my OP's went to my Cross bike) and they look like they will due the job admirably. I still have a line on the closeout 2005 Eurus's for $499, but for $639, I can get the newer model. Any negatives about the 2006's?
Just picked up a pair from 11speed for ~$590. Can't give you a ride report but can say that they appear to be bomb-proof, they have sealed the inner so no need for rim tape and the nipples are located outside the rim for easy access.

All in all a very sweet looking wheelset that I am quite confident will serve me well (BTW, coming off a pair of Kysrium SSLs)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, 11-speed is cheap! They typically W/S here in the States for $699. I was paying less than that as an employee. But, I assume that shipping or tax would be on top of that from 11-speed. So, I think I will go ahead and order them (or the Zonda's-what is 120g)? The thing I really like about Campy wheels is how they seem to be bombproof. I crashed on a Bontrager RaceXL wheel last year and it folded like a cheap suit-the rim cracked in 3 places. I have crashed on my old Eurus and put the wheel slightly out of true! They seem to be built very well. Still, it would be nice to have a deeper dish wheel for TT's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tire mounting on 06 Eurus?

How is tire mounting with the new Eurus rims?

I have a set of 05 Eurus wheels and I love the way they ride but mounting & changing tires is a chore. I have tried Michelin, Conti, Vottoria, and Kenda tires and all are a very tight fit. In fact, I finally gave up on the Vottoria Open Corsa Evo CX without ever getting it mounted.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave in Driggs said:

I have a set of 05 Eurus wheels and I love the way they ride but mounting & changing tires is a chore. I have tried Michelin, Conti, Vottoria, and Kenda tires and all are a very tight fit. In fact, I finally gave up on the Vottoria Open Corsa Evo CX without ever getting it mounted.
I haven't mounted them yet-I have been riding in the winter road crap w/my old wheels (Zondas), so I won't likely mount up the Eurus for another month. On my 2005 Eurus, I mounted a set of Criterium Crit Nerone tires (basically a EVO CX clone) without trouble. I have also owned 2 sets of Zondas, and neither of them gave me trouble with either the EVO CX or the Nerone. It may be a difference between individual rims (I bought bulk of the Vittoria, so I haven't used another tire). I put 1 bead of the tire in the well, put the tube in, then work the second bead into the well. When I get to the last 5 or 10%, I hold one end of the remaining exposed bead down with my thumb, and work the other side of the exposed bead in with a Pedros yellow lever. I usually only do this on the initial mount: after that, the tire comes off and on usually with finger pressure, after it stretches just a bit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mounting tires on 06

Dave in Driggs said:

No problems here Dave. Mounted the 2006 eurus with Veloflex Criteriums without a hitch - no issues what so ever with getting these tires on to the rim.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just received my 2006 Zonda's. What a beautiful set of wheels. The only road wheels I have to compare with is the stock wheels that came on my 03 Giant OCR3. So these are the cats ass by a long way. Again, keep in mind to what I"m comparing them too but I now wonder about thier durability. The 16 spokes up front and 21 spokes back does not spell bomb proof to me. Reguardless, I in no way regret buying them. The only thing is that I now really want to get a set of hand laced tradional wheels as a back up set.

PS. I got some Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. Way easier to mount than the wire bead Michelin Dynamic's that came on my Giant.

·
Registered
464 Posts
bomb proof

carb850 said:
I just received my 2006 Zonda's. What a beautiful set of wheels. The only road wheels I have to compare with is the stock wheels that came on my 03 Giant OCR3. So these are the cats ass by a long way. Again, keep in mind to what I"m comparing them too but I now wonder about thier durability. The 16 spokes up front and 21 spokes back does not spell bomb proof to me. Reguardless, I in no way regret buying them. The only thing is that I now really want to get a set of hand laced tradional wheels as a back up set.

PS. I got some Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. Way easier to mount than the wire bead Michelin Dynamic's that came on my Giant.
I guess bomb proof is all relative. Comparing the Eurus (or zondas) to some of the other light wheelsets out there led me to my own conclusion on the eurus - bomb proof due to their solid rims, extremely beefy straight-pull spokes, hubs, etc. And don;t go thinking that just because a wheelset is a traditional lace-up it is going to have some sort of magical, never fail characterisitc. I've had beautufully made wheelsets (have one now) and have owned absolute diasters. Be as careful choosing your wheel builder as you would someone repairing your porsche.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had held off getting Eurus because this tire mounting difficulty theme kept cropping up. Eventually, the bling lust overcame the hesitation. Now that I've had the wheels for a while and changed tires a couple of times I have to say I don't see what the fuss is about. Tire off - just a quick flick of a lever to get it started. Tire on - hands only. I ride Conti GP4ks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm curious about the new Euros vs. the Ksyrium SSLs, if anyone has any thoughts.

As for weight, I thought I read the new Euros set was around 1490 grams.

·
Registered
838 Posts
one_speed said:
As for weight, I thought I read the new Euros set was around 1490 grams.
I read that too, but it has a big asterisk beside it which says "nominal weight" Also the clinchers are given the same weight as the tubulars, also a number of mail order sites are using copy that says something about a "feathery 1580" in describing the '06 Eurus. So I'm sorta skeptical. No one has posted a weight on weight wienies yet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have both 05 and 06 Eurus. The 06 are lighter and stiffer. Neither set has had a spoke wrench on them yet. I recently put GP4000s on both sets with no trouble. The hubs are very low friction on both. The 05 freehub is loud. The 06 is even louder. The 05s seem to maintain speed a little better but the 06s accelerate and climb better. The ride on the 05s is more forgiving on rough asphalt. If I picked one I'd take the 06 and hope they prove to be as reliable as the older version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts