Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've ridden the Waco ride a couple of times. The mid-distance route.

Overall it's great. I'd go this year but my wife booked a cruise starting that weekend. Trust me, I'd rather do this bike ride.

Too bad they don't start the ride at 7:00am as it gets warm in Waco.

Look at the route map. You have to be careful to follow the right arrows (color) as the courses take lots of backroads and streets. That's part of what makes it interesting.

·
Texas Cyclist
58 Posts
I have ridden the Marble Falls Hill Country Challenge, which covers some of the same territory as Rip Roarin' Ride/, and the Round Rock Outlaw Trail 100, and other assorted rides in the area.

The hills of Marble Falls are not bad, but watch out for cattle guards and low water crossings (the grates are more of a problem than the water crossings). The ride is well organized. The Round Rock ride is generally flat, and was not as well marked, but issued a great map (the county map, rather than just the route). Both are well staffed and good rides.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I'm registered for the Outlaw 100 in 2 weeks. It will be my first organized ride. Trying to convince hubby to go for the 50 or 63 miler, as we were able to do 40 miles pretty easily ahead of our training schedule.

·
Texas Cyclist
58 Posts
Enjoy the ride, Loraura. I have a St Judes Hospital charity event in Houston that evening, so will not be able to ride the Outlaw -- I may do the Cannon Express in Gonzales. The Outlaw should be a great ride. I met a nice couple on the Rip Roarin' Ride last weekend, and it was nice to see them riding together, or at least meeting at rest stops (the husband rode ahead at times; then again, on the Shiner Bash a few years ago, I meet another couple, and rode a stretch with the husband as we tried to catch his wife, who was quite the climber). Definitely work on your hubby, and take a look at the course map -- you do not need to make the 40/50/63 decision until several miles into the ride, and there are shortcuts should you start the longer route then decide to cut it down. Perhaps that will convince him.

·
Texas Cyclist
58 Posts
The St Jude event is a benefit dinner and silent auction. I do not have a website address, but can probably find information for you if you want to attend. There is also a St Jude event in Austin on October 16 (again, a society thing rather than a ride), but I will be going to La Dolce Vida.

Here's the Gonzales Cannon Express.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.