Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first got my cross bike, I felt a little stretched out, but I was thinking it was normal since I've never had a road bike. Previously, I had only ridden BMX and a bit of MTB so I never felt that much stretch.

Now, I've been riding my MTB a bit more since CX season is over and when I get back on my cross bike I feel so stretched out. Riding on the hoods feel a bit uncomfortable and even on the tops. I was curious, if my hands are on the top of the bars, should I feel in a similar position as I would on the MTB?

Or is it just more of a difference in geometry?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Did you buy your bike from a bike shop? If yes, have them check your fit on it. If you bought it there is shouldn't cost much or anything at all. If you didn't buy it at a shop, still go to one you frequent and have them check your fit. May cost some$$ but it's money well spent. Sounds like you might need a shorter stem, but it's hard to say without seeing you on the bike.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
smellmypeebody said:
I was curious, if my hands are on the top of the bars, should I feel in a similar position as I would on the MTB?
I think not. You should be comfortable with your hands on either the hoods or the drops, preferably both. That is how drop bars are designed to be used most of the time. If you bought the bike based on that assumption, it may well be too large, or at least too long in the TT.

However, different geo. may be a factor. My road and CX set-ups are very much different to my MTB set-up. Much more saddle to bar drop and seat further behind the BB so that I can comfortably balance my upper body at a lower angle. The lower angle requires more cockpit length to put the controls where my hands naturally fall.

At the same time, the feel is pretty much the same for all. When I pedal the bikes, my weight feels evenly distributed and none of the contact points require reaching or constant shifting around.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
something else to consider is where your shoulders/shoulder blades are. I found by simply moving my saddle forward ( had room to do so without messing up my knees) it brought me into a more comfortable ergonomic riding position, shoulders retracted down into the back vs. hunched up.

best to get fitted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i wanted a more upright postion on my cross bike vs my road bike so i went with a shorted stem lenght and it worked out great. you may just need more time on your bike to get used to the feeling of being extended and go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a cross bike, the wheelbase may be long enough that you can go with a shorter stem without getting twitchy steering.

You can also go with a higher stem, like a 15-17* stem or much higher like a 30*.

You can also look into Specialized's Comp Set stems which offer shims to let you adjust the height of you bars. Those stems are cool because you can easily raise or lower the bars, usually in 2-degree increments, with differing shims.

As was said, though, you might just want to give you current set-up more time before making any changes.

·
MTBR Member
2,908 Posts
My cross bike has a lot of spacers under the stem, to put the bars up pretty high. This setup allows me to ride in the drops pretty comfortably. When on the tops, it feels shorter and more upright than my MTB, which has a fair bit of saddle to bar drop. When on the hoods, the cross bike does feel longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.