Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh, I am starting to feel the burnout. I have been riding my normal amount, but lately, it just hasn't been fun - particularly my BORING weeknight rides. I know all of other people have much worse weather, but here in Houston it has just been windy windy windy (15-20mph winds everyday it seems like). I am doing the MS150 in April and I already know I could complete it, but I want to train as hard as possible so I can go a little faster and still really enjoy the ride. Weekend training rides are still enjoyable and range from 50-70 miles, but it is the hard effort weeknight rides of only 20 miles that I am really starting to hate. I used to do the 20 mile weeknight rides on Tues and Thurs but have now cut it back to just one night a week and do cardio/lifting (legs one night and upper body another night) on three other nights of week. Well, I did my 20 mile ride last night and it just wasn't fun - partly because it is on a 1.1 mile loop with the winding hitting you in the face on one leg, at your back for one short leg and blowing left to right and right to left on the other two legs. I know I should just get off the bike for a while, but with the MS150 in 5 weeks I have a hard time not riding. Maybe I should just do the longer training rides on the weekend, but then I just feel like 75% of the other people doing the ride hoping to average double digits during ride. Also part of the frustration is that I am stuck at average of 19-20mph regardless if the ride is 15 miles or 60 miles.....no progress. Motivation is getting tough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Stop going to the fruit loop. It gets boring really quickly.

Why did you start riding bikes in the first place? Because it was fun! Right?

Go for a FUN ride every now and then: No planned route, no training goals, no intervals, no computer, no HRM. Just go ride your bike and explore neighborhoods.
Where does this road go? Let's find out!
Oh lookie! A parking garage! Ride up it and bomb down. (After hours of course.)
Oh hey, a bayou trail! Wonder if it connects.....

Or just take a few days completely off. It is supposed to rain for the next 3 days anyway.

It's not like the 150 is some kind of contest. Half the goobers on that ride only ride their bikes during the month of the 150 anyway.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree...the LOOP SUX and there are a couple groups out there that think they own the damn thing. Obviously you are from Houston (knowing about the Fruit Loop)...I live right near the park so it is convenient. I do ride up and down TC Jester Bayou, but hate riding my bike over I10 and along TC Jester to get there and back (if I can ride to a ride, I hate putting bike in car). Yeah, weather is going to be nasty, but I still hope to do either the Magnolia Ride or Pearland ride.....I think I need to ride mountain bike during week and road bike only on weekends for training rides. Agree 100% about goobers, except I would say 75% of the people only ride a month before ride and then the ride.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've added a newer route to the one I've been doing. Breaks up a lot of the monotony. Finding someone else to ride with would help a lot too. I used to do a Alvin-friendswood-league city-webster loop, but now I do Alvin, Algoa, Santa Fe, Hitchcock, and Galveston loop... less stopping, and more scenery. Plus, a heckofa lot more wind to make me work harder - will be great when I get to the hills!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check out www.theanthills.com It is the forum for the Anthills MTB trails and Terry Hershey Park. THP has a paved MUT. Basically, south side of Buffalo Bayou is all dirt trails (The Anthills), the North side is all paved (Terry Hershey Park). They have rides going all the time. It's out in West Houston so you'd have to drive a bit but it is something different and there is quite a diverse group of good people of all abilities. They have dirt rides, paved path rides, road rides. All kinds of stuff going on. You can also connect to George Bush Park. Combining THP and GBP easily gets you 40 to 50 miles of paved riding with no cars. Of course you have to deal with walkers and joggers.......

I'd also suggest to just explore your immediate area. If you're near the park, River Oaks and Memorial areas are fun to explore and gawk at the mansions and beautiful landscapes.

Definitely ride your MTB at Memorial for some variety but also check out the Anthills and Cypresswood on the North/Northwest side. Great MTB trails in Cypresswood.

I just don't see how some of the folks even complete the 150. They pull the bike down and ride 4 or 5 times for a total of 50 miles, ride the first day, get smashed drunk, ride the 2nd day, and then hang the bike up until next year. Of course they complain for 2 weeks afterwards about how sore and tired they are. Go figure......

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I'll be doing the great escape this weekend. Could only get off for that. Wish I could do the tour of Houston.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
FWIW--We have a Fruit Loops ride here in Boulder.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
take a week off. you won't lose fitness. you'll probably be faster 2 days after getting back on the bike.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...

Peanya said:
I'll be doing the great escape this weekend. Could only get off for that. Wish I could do the tour of Houston.
Weather so supposed to be a little better by Sunday...if Magnolia ride turns out to be nasty I will do shorter route and longer one on Sunday. Then I think I will stay off bike till next weekend and do my own ride since I am going to rodeo next Saturday night and will have to miss out on Tour De Houston.....

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Well, look for a white-framed bike that has red decals and red tires, that'll be me! I plan on taking the 70 mile route. Oh, I do wear a camelbak!
I'll probably be going only 15ish mph give or take after 40 miles... I always tell myself on group rides I'll start off slow and warm up, but it doesn't just happen. I find myself in the low 20's from the get-go almost.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be the 6'4" guy on a black and red Cervelo RS....usually have the highest saddle in the group!! If I don't do the ride on Sat due to weather I will be doing the 70 mile route also. I also tell me self to start slow, but usually end up doing first half at 22-23mph and then having to push to keep up 20mph and then I always end up dying the last 5-6 miles and having to just survive...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Haha that sounds a lot like me! Save the Cervelo part...
Was looking at the route, and the first rest stop is at my daughter's school, the start (obviously the school) is at my other daughter's school. And right after the school down Kost is my street. I'm hoping my wife can cheer me on!
I've never ridden in rain, and never been too fond of riding in the frigid Texas cold (for me that is!)... Guess I should get a poncho tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts