Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn 35 this month, and I haven't gotten on my mountain bike in a while. I thought I would take it easy and goof around a little on my mountain bike and get a rest day from road riding.

I'm probably a little too old to be jumping curbs and speed bumbs. Well I come crashing down due to my own overconfidence on my head and side, thank goodness for helmets. I have some road rash on my arm, nothing I hadn't experienced before, so I just get back up and keep biking. When I finish my ride and take my helmet off I see that it cracked all the way through in a few places. My wife is concerned, but I blow it off. Several hours later I'm dizzy, nauseous and I have trouble remembering my home address.

I go to the emergency room get a CT scan, a tetnus shot, some other shot for the swelling, and something for the nausea. The CT scan came back fine, though the doctor recommended I take a few days rest. I'm a little concerned that I looked right into the lazer of the scanner, I only noticed the sign that said do not look into lazers as I was coming out of the machine. Anyway, it's been two days since the fall and I'm still a little dizzy, and my stomach hurts a little(?).

I plan on taking a few more days off the bike, maybe I'll ride on the trainer a little starting tomorrow. I need to get a new helmet though, and I think I'll stick to keeping my wheels planted on the ground from now on.

Anyone else get a head injury from biking? How long did it take to recover, or at least for the dizziness to go away completly?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kuma601 said:
Happy the helmet did its job...looks like a Bell Sweep?

Good eye. Bell Sweep R. I just got it a few months ago. After this fall though I'm wondering if I should stay with an ultralight helmet. It did it's job, but just wondered if a sturdier helmet would be better, or worse for that matter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
naawillis said:
yeah, been there. good to have one on when you need it. heres my cracked helmet thread with more pics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=307581

Thanks to your thread, I saw someone post about crash replacement. I checked my owner's manual and it looks like bell has a crash replacement policy as well. Now I just need to find the receipt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
lx93 said:
You may also wish to Google or, better, ask your doctor about Second Impact Syndrome before riding for some time...

That's kind of scary. I went to the emergency room and was told I was fine, but they usually don't go into much detail in emergency rooms. I think I'll follow up with my regular doc and stay off the bike for a little while. The indoor trainer is a little boring but I guess I can catch up on some tv news while I'm at it, since I haven't watched any tv for the past year because of our new baby -- another reason to play it safe.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
DrSmile said:
I've had 3 concussions in my lifetime, the last one being the worst (ski jumping crash, and I was wearing a helmet!). I don't remember anything about or after the accident for a day, including my hospital visit. My friend thought I was a goner because I apparently asked him "What happened?" about 5000 times on the ride to the hospital. 2 weeks later I suddenly realized I hadn't been operating on all cylinders for those 2 weeks, which was slightly disturbing because I am a medical professional and was working for those 2 weeks... Anyways I highly recommend not doing anything too important in the short term.

Something's telling me I'm not firing on all cylinders as well. After lunch I was starting to feel a little light headed, my right ear hurt a little, and I'm feel pressure on the right side of my head again. I have a follow up appt with my doctor on friday, but may go in earlier if these symptoms persist.

Also, this is a little odd, I just went to the toilet and saw that I have my boxers on backwards -- I think that's the first time I've done that since I was like six years old or something.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update

Update:

It's been a little over two weeks since my crash. My scars have all healed and my head is feeling back to normal. I had a follow up with my regular physician, and everything checks out fine. He left it up to me whether I wanted a referal to see a neurologist or not. Since I feel better now, and he doesn't see any problems I decided I was fine.

Thanks for everyone's advice. During that time I stayed off the bike and got a lot of rest, which I think contributed to the fairly quick full recovery.

Also, thanks to some other advice I got from this post I found out about the Bell helmet crash replacement policy. Bell Sports totally rocks! They shipped me a brand new replacement Sweep R helmet for only $35 total, and even before I was ready to get back on my bike.

Now I only need to convince my wife that riding my bike is safe, and I crashed only because of my own stupidity -- which she seems to think I have a lot of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.