Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Old Skool
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Felt 24 for my nine-year old daughter. The bike was purchased for my local dealer. They special ordered the bike for me as this is not a model that they routinely stock.<o>
</o>
<o></o>
Upon assembly, the shop noticed that it was impossible to adjust the shifting properly. The bike would consistently drop the chain off the inner chaining when attempting to run in the lowest gear ratio. Visually the bike’s chainline seemed to be way off and rough measurement confirmed that it was about 50 mm as opposed to the 43.5 one would normally expect on a road double. As I was eager to take delivery, they adjusted the derailleur to block off the lowest sprocket so that the bike would be rideable while the problem was worked out. <o>
</o>
<o></o>
It is at this point that my dissatisfaction begins. The shop reported the issue to their Felt representative. Felt referred the shop to FSA (the manufacture of the crank) to resolve the issue. FSA has referred the shop back to Felt. Bottom line, no one seems willing to take responsibility and provide the shop with the necessary warranty service. Even more frustrating, the Felt representative was not able to confirm for the shop the correct bottom bracket specifications for the bike. Subsequent searching of the Felt website revealed that the correct spec is 107 mm. Pulling the bottom bracket reveals the bottom bracket is labeled 68x107 and measures out at 107mm.<o>
</o>
<o></o>
Leaving my frustrations with Felt's customer service aside, here are some basic facts:My questions are as follows:
  1. Does anyone know the correct (factory spec) chainline for a 2009 Felt 24?

2. Does anyone out there own a 2009 Felt 24? If yes, what does the chainline measure? Does the bike shift properly?

3. Any suggestions for fixing the problem? We plan on trying a 103mm BB but are not sure there is enough spindle to install the crank arm before it contacts the BB shell.
Thank you in advance for your help. [FONT=&quot]<o>
</o>
[/FONT]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts