Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot of good content from the reviews section. Thanks.

I'm down to two bikes :

2015 Felt AR5 which is marked down to $2150 Canadian. (8.1kg 58cm)

2016 Giant TCR advanced 2 $2150 CAD

Both have the full 105 group set. They both have house brand wheels. Any experience on which is better?

The type of riding I do now is usually 50 km solo or with a friend. I'm new to road cycling and quite fit and would like to do some grand fondos, some club riding, and maybe some races in the future if the sport takes me that way.

My main objectives are to get a bike that's stiff, offers value, and durable. Fast is nice but I'm not overly concerned with weight. That being said does anyone know how much the giant weighs (I've been googling to no avail).

I think my real question is how much benefit is there to the aero frame. And what are the tradeoffs?

How do the manufacturers compare in terms of warranty and customer service?

The second part to this is sizing. I'm 5'7.5'' with a 32 inch inseam. I seem to fall right in between the 52 and 54 or small and medium. My legs are on the long side which would imply my torso is shorter does that mean I would need a smaller frame (less reach). That's my logic. However, I'm seeing on the sizing charts that having a greater inseam says I should be a medium or 54. Take a look here. click what's my size right under the price. (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.2/24639/89625/). If someone educate me a bit here that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam, so you do have proportionally very long legs.

This one is a hard call. Are these bikes you're considering at bike shops or second hand? If at a bike shop, did they give recommendations as to your frame size? Did you test ride either of these bikes? If so, which felt better?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quality advice varies from bike shop to bike shop. I'm coming off a hybrid bike so i don't really know how it should feel. I've been told when in doubt go with the small size. But I feel that might be too general. I'm gonna ride the felt today its a 54 and the last one from 2015 so its marked down. Both the bikes are new.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I looked at the geometry charts and given your longer legs and overall height, I'd say the Giant S size has plenty of reach.

I like the giant, but both are good bikes.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Quality advice varies from bike shop to bike shop.
Absolutely! The first thing you should shop for is your bike shop!

I've been told when in doubt go with the small size. But I feel that might be too general.
Yes, too general. Correct again! The key as I said before, is to find a good bike shop first. That is one that is willing to work with you to find your correct size. That means a shop that will put you and your prospective bike on a trainer, watch you pedal and make an assessment. Keep in mind that sizes can vary from brand to brand. Some run high, others run low. Be especially careful not to fall victim to a shop who steers you to a particular size because that's the one they have!

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Quality advice varies from bike shop to bike shop. I'm coming off a hybrid bike so i don't really know how it should feel. I've been told when in doubt go with the small size. But I feel that might be too general. I'm gonna ride the felt today its a 54 and the last one from 2015 so its marked down. Both the bikes are new.
This is so true. If you are not stuck on a brand than find the shop that you like the best. Both Giant and Felt are awesome. I am more drawn to Felt but that is subjective. I have owned a Felt road bike and still have a Giant mtb. Try not to get drawn in to generalities about sizing. It is a very personal thing. I consider myself a tweener and seem to always fall into the middle of the sizing charts. I tend to go with the larger frame because that is what has always felt more comfortable to me on the road. When it comes to my mtb, it is the exact opposite. The small frame feels better. My advise would be to go to both shops and talk to the people and have them put you on the bikes. Remember little things like stem sizes are easy to change out. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
how do you measure your inseam? Protocol here is very important because depending on how you measure it, your inseam can be close to an inch off.

Having said that, seeing how the Giant S has an effective top tube of 53.5cm, I'd say that's a good fit for you. Their M size has a 55cm top tupe, which I feel might be too long for you.

On the "aesthetic side" of things, if you want your bike to look "pro", i.e., long seatpost exposed and long stem, then you'd need to go size S. Personally, I'm 5'7" and I'd go size S no doubt about it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Absolutely! The first thing you should shop for is your bike shop!
Well said, I couldn't agree more. Just go to the 3-4 nearest bike shops, talk to the owners/employees and go with the ones that treat you better. That's what I always do when I move to a new city.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great stuff...here's the update.

I took the Felt AR5 54cm it felt ok but I think a 52 would be a better fit. The frame was a little too rigid for me. Everything came up through the handlebars and saddle.

The Giant TCR advanced 2 in medium was too big for sure but the small felt good. Ride quality was definitely nicer than the Felt.

I had a chance to go to a bike shop where they know their stuff and the staff an ex-pro spent some time with me and put me on a xs Argon 18 Krypton. What a difference little adjustments make. The stack and reach on that are 49.5 and 38.5 with an ETT of 52. The bike is a little over my budget but I'll definitely spend some money there in the future on kit.

So, I thought the tough decision was made and I'd go for the TCR. No...I decided, to go to another shop and they had a 2015 Trek Emonda S6 marked down to $2200. So this just threw a wrench in everything. I already have choice anxiety, if no one noticed. So this is where I'm at:

2016 Giant TCR advance 2 (full 105 group) $2150 (17 pounds 5 ounces)
or
2015 Trek Emonda S6 (full ultegra) $2200 (18 pounds 6 ounces)

The carbon frame on the TCR advanced is the same as the TCR pro but the SL gets a better carbon. For the Emonda the S SL and SLR all have different carbon. The weight difference is quite large between the two I don't know where though. It cant all be in the frame. Can it?

The frame geometry is quite different. The stack being about two centimetres lower in the trek.

I guess I'm here to find out if anyone has been in the same position as me? New to the sport, doesn't really know what their getting into or what it feels like to ride 70 km (or more) with a slammed stem. Deciding whether to go with a slightly more relaxed frame with the Trek or all the way with the Giant. Any experience from someone in my position one or two years ago and how they feel now or advice would be great.

And I'm not really a brand ***** but it would be nice to know as a newbie where Trek and Giant stand in the cycling community. I know that's loaded...lol. But also in terms of warranty, build quality, ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how do you measure your inseam? Protocol here is very important because depending on how you measure it, your inseam can be close to an inch off.

Having said that, seeing how the Giant S has an effective top tube of 53.5cm, I'd say that's a good fit for you. Their M size has a 55cm top tupe, which I feel might be too long for you.

On the "aesthetic side" of things, if you want your bike to look "pro", i.e., long seatpost exposed and long stem, then you'd need to go size S. Personally, I'm 5'7" and I'd go size S no doubt about it.
Ya with the medium I felt like superman. I measured with a book and made a mark on the wall. The shop owner where I got measured up didn't believe I had 32 inseam either. So I went on his measuring thing. 31.5 with sweat pants on....didnt feel like cranking up on it there lol...not like at home alone...haha

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
2016 Giant TCR advance 2 (full 105 group) $2150 (17 pounds 5 ounces)
or
2015 Trek Emonda S6 (full ultegra) $2200 (18 pounds 6 ounces)
Which one felt better? That is the one to go with. If they both felt equally good, my bias would probably be with the Giant. Giant has a better reputation for warranty claims than Trek does in the unlikely event you have to file a claim.

Both these bikes have virtually the same drive train: Shimano 11-speed 11-28T cassette, 50/34 compact crankset. One has Ultegra, the other has 105. They are both the latest generation and both excellent drive trains. Ultegra has more bling, but you are unlikely to notice any shifting performance difference unless you are very sensitive.

Weight difference between the two bikes is negligible. 1 lb. difference isn't even as much as a full water bottle. Compare that to how much YOU weigh. You won't notice the difference unless you are a professional racer, but then if you were a professional racer, you wouldn't be shopping for bikes because you would have your bikes given to you by sponsors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The emonda sold when I went to take it for another ride so I ended up buying the Giant. I think I would have got the Giant anyways. Thanks for all the help, guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts