Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am comparing a Felt DA with HED Aerobars or Oval Concepts A901's to an Argon E-114. The Argon frame alone is almost 1 lb. heavier. I THINK they both will fit me the same as in a 52 Felt DA and Small E-114, the geometry is very similar. I've heard that the E-114 is more stable, which, over an Ironman distance, adds up to less weaving and less wasted energy. I am 90% leaning towards the Argon....seems like with the available spacers for height, and very adjustable pads, I should be able to get a really good fit. Anyone have experience with either or both of these bikes? I realize the DA is very adjustable in the front with its different length stems and adjustable angle. I think from that standpoint, it may be the better choice, but I've read such good things about the E-114 (and both bikes will end up costing me about the same, with the E-114 being about $200 more than the DA for me). Just can't decide (and can't ride either bike first as no nearby dealer carries either).

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
You need

phototravel said:
I am comparing a Felt DA with HED Aerobars or Oval Concepts A901's to an Argon E-114. The Argon frame alone is almost 1 lb. heavier. I THINK they both will fit me the same as in a 52 Felt DA and Small E-114, the geometry is very similar. I've heard that the E-114 is more stable, which, over an Ironman distance, adds up to less weaving and less wasted energy. I am 90% leaning towards the Argon....seems like with the available spacers for height, and very adjustable pads, I should be able to get a really good fit. Anyone have experience with either or both of these bikes? I realize the DA is very adjustable in the front with its different length stems and adjustable angle. I think from that standpoint, it may be the better choice, but I've read such good things about the E-114 (and both bikes will end up costing me about the same, with the E-114 being about $200 more than the DA for me). Just can't decide (and can't ride either bike first as no nearby dealer carries either).

to really travel to a dealer then....racing IM distance is hard, and COMFORT IS KEY, you need to ride both, and then decide which one feels better....there is no real other way to do it. For shorter tri races, it's not as important, but when you're going to be aero for 112 miles, you need to be comfortable on your bike.....I dunno....it wouldn't be something I would just "guess" at.

FWIW, I have ridden the DA and love it. I have never ridden, and don't know much about the E-114....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
597 Posts
+1 on what......

physasst said. Both bikes are great and won't hold you back from your Ironman goals. You mentioned that you can't get to an LBS that carries both of them. Instead of narrowing your choice to these two choices, go to an LBS that you trust and that carries tri bikes. Let them fit you and recommend the right bike for you, regardless of brand.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
it's odd that the commitment to ironman is so huge - the investment
in personal-vs-family time, effort, money sacrifices, etc; that said, it
might be worth looking into a shop like nytro or bikesportmichigan
that does extensive video, power and aero testing in addition to
FIST fitting. nytro even puts you in a wind tunnel. might be a
good investment in time and experience as well. don't ever buy
a high-end tri bike without extensive test riding. my local shop
practically insists i do the local 20k/40k TT prior to purchasing
so i can compare the current ride with the prospective one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.