Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between a Felt DA frame and an Orbea Ordu. I already have an Orca and love Orbea's bikes, but I bought my girlfriend a Felt B2 and I can get the Felt for about the same price as an Ordu. Any opinions??? I'm going to do my first Ironman next year and then will use the bike for TT's as well as some shorter tri's.

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Sub 17????

phototravel said:
I am trying to decide between a Felt DA frame and an Orbea Ordu. I already have an Orca and love Orbea's bikes, but I bought my girlfriend a Felt B2 and I can get the Felt for about the same price as an Ordu. Any opinions??? I'm going to do my first Ironman next year and then will use the bike for TT's as well as some shorter tri's.
Can't help you with the bike decision... I loved my Felt and I love my Orbea. It's the Ironman thing I'm impressed with. That's awesome! Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BunnV said:
Can't help you with the bike decision... I loved my Felt and I love my Orbea. It's the Ironman thing I'm impressed with. That's awesome! Good luck! :thumbsup:
Hey - I remember you from when i first posted photos of my Orange 2008 Orca. So, what Felt did you have? BTW, the Ironman isn't until Aug. 2009, so I've got a long way to go to be ready for it...

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
I had an F55. Aluminum with carbon fork and stays. It came with Dura Ace and was a great bike, but when I saw your Orca, that was it! Then my friend bought an 08 Orca (red) and I made the mistake of riding it!

I'm training for a tri too but nowhere close to an Ironman! You must be a strong swimmer....:eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the fact that the Felt Da already has the stem included, the price of both bikes ends up about the same for me. I agree...the Orbea looks really great, but the DA is advertised as the fastest (most aerodynamic) legal bike in the world and my girlfriend has a Felt B2 and I see how flattened and narrow the down tube and fork and seatstays are. I think it IS more aero than the Orbea, but I LOVE my Orca and it just seems a bit more exotic than the Felt. Tough decision

·
Registered
597 Posts
Tough decision indeed! Honestly, I would go with the Orbea if I were in your shoes. It's more exotic and you already have a good experience with the company. While the Felt may be better aerodynamically, ANY bike will go fast if you move your legs fast enough!

One thing to consider is how you fit on both bikes. The Felt will accomodate a steeper seat tube angle than the Orbea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...and that's another thing. I have NO experience with the steeper seat tube angles as I've never owned a TT/Tri bike, so I don't know if I actually want the option of a 78 degree angle on the Felt or if the steepest option of 76 on the Orbea will suffice...it's tough when you don't have the option of trying out a bike in person. The top tube on my Orca is roughly the same as it will be on the 51 Ordu, yet I've heard that you are supposed to get a shorter top tube on tri bikes than on road bikes....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hmmmm.....do you have a bike shop in your area that specializes in tri bike fits? They can be pretty tricky. Most of the time, a cyclist will want a size down from their road bike size so they're not too stretched out when in the aero bars. Regarding the seat tube angle, it's a matter of personal preference. My first tri bike was at 76 degrees. The one I have now is at 81 degrees and I prefer it because it leaves my legs fresher for the run. Take a look at www.slowtwitch.com and you may get more insight.

·
ironmandreamer
29 Posts
This question is best answered on www.slowtwitch.com

The Felt and Orbea were compared recently in Australia's TMSM and the Felt won out, but in the end the reviewer said he was doing an Ironman with major climbs ie: France he'd prefer to be on the Orbea. Most of the 22 Ironman's worldwide however are flat with one or two climbs so you'd be better off on the Felt.

If money's a consideration check out the Felt B12, I bought one and just upgraded (at the time of purchase from my LBS) the cranks, BB, and chain to Ultegra and it's a great bang for buck ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.